1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help 775 error

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gflande1, Aug 11, 2012.

1. gflande1

gflande1 Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    Just got home and found a message on my HR34 stating "Problem communicating with dish. Press select on more info (775)". Called Directv and they had me disconnect both coax from SWiM and touch the copper wire on each. Then they had me reconnect, unplug for 30 secs, then plug back in. Green light on SWiM is on. After reboot of HR34, error came back. tech said they have to send someone out to replace SWiM. Soonest is Wednesday (today is Saturday). I was looking forward to some Olympics, football and True Blood. Wtf

Any suggestions to get this back online?

2. gflande1

gflande1 Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    found local dealer that sold me the module for $15.

3. gflande1

gflande1 Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    well, that didn't work failed during "receiving satellite info..." followed steps above, and failed again. special steps to install?

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Most likely this is a loose or weak connection, not a module failure.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Have you check the SWiM power inserter?

6. gflande1

gflande1 Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    sorry, that's what this thing is, says power inserter on back.

everything has been working fine since install 4 months ago. checked all connections, including at dish. everything seems tight.

wife says power went out briefly last night.

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Is the HR34 your only receiver? Is there another receiver that is working?

8. gflande1

gflande1 Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    two receivers HR34 and H21. didnt think to check H21, it's also down, code 771a

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Anything that might have bumped the dish?

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    No VOS yet? He must be doing a BBQ.

First off check to ensure that you're PI is in the red port to the splitter and that someoen didn't move something around when cleaning. If the light is on the PI it's working. I've never seen a failure on a unit with the light on, not saying it's impossible, but usually this leads to a connection issues somewhere or as stated a bad cable. If your power went out did you have a bad storm?

11. gflande1

gflande1 Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    everything looks good, nothing changed. I checked that everything was wrench tight. two coax connected to splitter. one is in red, however, I don't know which coax is which. with no signal, I don't know how I would figure this out. we have had storms the last couple days. wife said power went out for a short time last night.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Long shot on maybe this is or isn't an issue, but is the PI plug directly into a wall outlet and not a power strip. There were reports of PIs having issues with some power strips.

13. gflande1

gflande1 Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    originally wall, new one in power strip. I will try

14. gflande1

gflande1 Mentor

Jul 29, 2006
    no change moving power back to outlet.

out of curiosity, I checked the voltage coming out of the power inserter. both, the new and old one are 20.7 volts (guess that means I didn't need to buy one). I measured it at the LNB and it was 20.6. so voltage is making it out there, so no breaks. I also confirmed the wire coming from the splitter with voltage is connected to red. does this mean bad LNB?

15. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Before we get into a ton of trouble shooting let's rule something out first.

Did anyone during any testing, troubleshooting, or cleaning move around the coax cables form the PI to the splitter or receivers?

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I would pull out my spare LNB and try it, at this point.

17. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    This was exactly the problem for me once. Bad connection to PI. New connector on coax, tightened everything up, entered new channel (202) on the remote, all ok, picture returned. For me, the PI was not secured. It would get bumped by my cat! I rushed the job...:rolleyes: Never again! Do it once, do it right!

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    The OP said he measured voltage from the PI all the way out to the connection point at the LNB.

So as VOS points out its time to look at the SWiM-LNB as possibly dead.

19. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I asked because I'm wondering if someone connected the PI to the non red port.

20. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    The voltage at the LNB indicates that is unlikely.