1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help!!! Can I put Dish 1000 in a window on Southwest.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by n5vkm, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n5vkm

n5vkm New Member

May 19, 2006
    Hello All,
    I have a question...I am planning on moving to a townhouse in Aug. The townhouse management will not let me put up my Dish 1000 outside. I am in McKinney, TX (30 miles North of Dallas, TX) I like to know if I could put the Dish 1000 in a window that is on the South/Southwest 1st floor. I have no trees in the area to the south/southwest. Will I get a pretty good signal so I can keep my Dish Network contact. I have not seen this question on this board. I like to keep my Dish Network...I hope I can get dish signal out of my window with the dish 1000 inside the townhouse.

Thank You
    DannyU N5VKM
    McKinney, TX

2. rcdallas

rcdallas Mentor

Jun 3, 2006
    From kd5zqn formerly Plano, TX - from what I am told by a more experienced tech at my shop you can not recieve signal through a window. I am told that the signal is actually reflected by the glass itself.

3. gweempose

gweempose AllStar

Jun 10, 2006
    Sometimes townhouse/condo associations will try to dissuade you from putting up a dish even when there is no legal way for them to prevent you from doing so. If the section of roof where you would like to mount the dish is owned by you or "reserved for your exclusive use", you're golden. If you want to learn more about your rights, check out this FCC Information Sheet. Please bear in mind, I'm no expert in this area. You should definitely check with an attorney before doing anything rash. :)

4. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Actually, the signal will get through MOST glass just fine, and certainly the glass in any townhouse. The window screen will need to be removed.

SOME office buildings use metal in the glass for color or even to try to stop heat gain. The worst for attenuation is generally green, as that glass has a good bit of copper in it.

Hey, try it. It will likely work.

I have a friend who was able to receive his Direct TV through the ROOF of his house. Rain would just immediately kill it though.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    129° has a weaker satellite signal than most. Which means outdoors with great aiming you will have occasional problems with signals. You may be able to get the other locations through the right piece of glass or plastic window, but getting the HD on 129° would be a difficult shot.

Try the OTARD method ... see if the management's rules banning an outdoor dish are legal per FCC rules as gweempose suggested. If you have a balcony or patio that is "exclusive use" you have a place for your dish (although to be a good neighbor, I suggest screening the view if the management is that uptight about dishes).

6. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Do you have a patio/deck or other exclusive use area that is assigned to you?
    They can not prevent you from putting a dish in your "exclusive use area". If your a homeowner in a condo community, not a renter, you can easily fight this one. Federal law prohibits an HOA from dis-allowing an "owner-occupant" to receive broadcast transmissions within one's own exclusive use area.

I would visit your HOA board, explain OTARD to them, and explain to them it is within your rights under law to receive broadcast transmissions. If they do not want you mounting it to their structure (in most "Condo" titled cummunities/townhomes you do not own the exterior structure), ask them where you can mount it, remember that OTARD allows for reasonable Line of Sight in order to receive an acceptable broadcast transmission.

I have found quite a few HOA's relax a bit when they find out about OTARD. I have the entire OTARD in .txt and .pdf file format, I'll post it later for your reference.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

7. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Just rememer that exclusive use areas in town homes and apartments generally do not include the roof, exterior walls or anything protruding beyond the exterior walls or patio. IOW, hanging a dish off a window AC or attaching it a deck or railing post.

See ya
    Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.