1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need help connecting wireless adapter to DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ericmylad, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ericmylad

ericmylad Mentor

Feb 9, 2009
    Hi all. I just bought a Netgear NCE2001 wireless adapter for my HR24. I connected to my computer 1st to allow it to successfully connect to my network. I wrote down the IP address & other info. Instructions then said to simply connect to my DVR. After I did this, I went into the Network Settings and tried to connect only to get a failure. Went into the Advanced Settings and enterd the info I wrote down for the IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway & DNS. Tried it again & it still has a problem. What am I doing wrong? None of the tips on the settings page apply.

I have a similar item connected to a Blu Ray player & never had this much trouble getting it synced up with my network.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Do you have Whole Home DVR service? If no, then you can connect the wireless ethernet adapter to your HR24's ethernet port, but you must reset the DVR before it will recognize anything connected to its ethernet port. The reset will switch it from its internal DECA coax network adapter to its external ethernet port.

Post back if you have Whole Home DVR service because then you cannot use the HR24's ethernet port.

3. ericmylad

ericmylad Mentor

Feb 9, 2009
    Thanks. Resetting the DVR was the trick. Can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. I shouldn't have attenpted to do this so late as my brain was asleep. Everything is up & running.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    With the most other receivers you would not need to reset the receiver. In this case, since the HR24 has a built-in DECA, you need to disable that by first hooking up an ethernet cable and then resetting the receiver.

- Merg

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Hey thanks for that bit of info. :)

I always thought the H/HR24 series boxes' internal DECA would disable and switch to the ethernet port the moment it sensed a valid ethernet client connected to its ethernet port.

Didn't know a full receiver reset was also necessary to make it switch.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I've often requested that DirecTV put a sticker over the HR24's ethernet port to disclose this tidbit to folks, but they don't listen to me :)

Glad to hear you're up and running.

7. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA

What? listen to there customers on how to better there product?? who ever heard of such a thing?:lol::lol::lol:

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'm sorry. Did you say something? :lol:

- Merg

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    That really doesnt make the product any better, just allows the un-informed to DIY it without knowing what they are doing.