1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help- DIY Dish ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by sgibson, May 22, 2010.

1. sgibson

sgibson AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    Need Help-got Errors found on both tuners on replacement H21/100 (Recond.) Also, "Dish Alignment Problem" on an exist. H22/100.

I have 1st. gen AT-9 "Sidecar" dish and found a broken connector on the jumper cable for Port 1. (put a temp RG-6 jumper on it and waterproofed the connections). Don't currently have D*'s Service plan-it says coverage and billing will begin 30 days after activation. I'd like to upgrade to the newer 4-wire Slimline AT-S (now have 4-cables into home). I wish to purchase one and do the change/install myself. Is this a DIY job (don't have any meters or aiming devices-other than a compass.) Prior to the AU-9 I used to realign dish myself. I found some new AT-S 4-wire dishes online for reasonable prices.
    How should I proceed with this problem?

TIA for all advice,
    sgibson

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The AU-9 uses the same mast as the AT-9, so the switch should be pretty straight forward, assuming the mast is plumb. No reason you can't align it yourself using the signal meter in a receiver.

3. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    There are instruction videos on Solidsignal.com. You will need a meter to get it really dialed in. For the charge of the service call, D* may give you a new dish. They seem to want to swap out the sidecar dishes.

You may want to get a mod to move this to the installer's forum. You will get a better answer there.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  5. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Simple solution: Call D* and tell them you need a realignment. They'll give you the option for a $49 service call (which still sounds better than a DIY new dish) or you can enable the Protection Plan without the 30 day wait.

Even if you opted for the $49 service call, the installer will give you the option of starting the Protection Plan instead. The installer will update everything that needs updating.

YMMV, but that's how it worked for me a couple of weeks ago.

6. sgibson

sgibson AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    hilmar2k,
    Thanks for your reply.

I did a ground mount pole for the AT9 a few years ago, and while I can handle the physical install, the peaking and dither fine tuning adjustments will, according to most, require a signal meter-which I don't own.

Regards,
    sgibson

7. sgibson

sgibson AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    Herdfan,

thanks for the solidsignal tip. After watching the video and seeing the fine tuning required, will let D* do it.

sgibson

8. sgibson

sgibson AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
  9. sgibson

sgibson AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    Thanks!
    After reviewing the tips and watching video, will follow your advice and let D* do it. I just signed up for the protection plan and was told to wait 31 days to request dish realignment. Was your dish replaced?

10. sgibson

sgibson AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    Happy camper here. In spite of being less than 30 day wait, D* agreed to upgrade dish at n/c-since I've been a longtime loyal customer. Tech did a nice job, even replaced 8-compression connectors going the extra distance to ensure connections were neat and water-tight. I watched while the tech tuned dish aim with a "BirdDog" for max signal. The new SlimLine 3 aim is well above my chimmey (older AT9 side-car dish aimed just a bit below it.). Thanks for the advice and tips. Now back to enjoying Directv HDTV.

Attached Files: