1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help, Getting a new ROOF!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by leier911, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jul 7, 2010 #1 of 23
    leier911

leier911 AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    Here in good old Minnesota we recently had some bad storms. Major wind and hail damage so the guy came out to look and we may be getting a full, new roof.

Few questions. I have a dish (HD dish with mount and the two support braces) on the right side of the roof. What is the best process for this? I have never done this before? I am weary about having them take it down as I recall my brother had some roof work done last year and the guys he had do the roof, ripped it out like crazy and left, then he could not get TV, checked up there and they barely mounted it back up there, of course facing the other way. Do I call Directv or go up and do it myself and remove it before the roof work starts?

Then what after that? When the new roof is done, should I then call directv and tell them, existing customer, with roof damage, just putting the same dish back up?

2. Jul 7, 2010 #2 of 23
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The roofers should be able to take it down, but I'd have DIRECTV come out to reinstall it.

3. Jul 7, 2010 #3 of 23
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Just remove the dish as neatly as possible,remove the mount screws and set it on the ground gently,the cables all connect at the LNB.

Call a pro to have it reinstalled,take notice of the direction it's pointed and location on the roof,telling the installer this information might save him a few minuets of work.

4. Jul 7, 2010 #4 of 23
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    ^This, although, you may want to take it down yourself like mentioned above.

5. Jul 7, 2010 #5 of 23
    Tulsacoker

Tulsacoker AllStar

Jun 1, 2010
    Yes like everyone said. You will be without TV for a bit. I had my roof replaced a few years back. Just Call D* and try and set up the appointment best you can to coordinate with the roof completion. My roofers too down my dish and reinstalled it but still needed DirecTV to come out to really correctly aim it.

6. Jul 7, 2010 #6 of 23
    Lem

Lem Cool Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I hope you're not considering a metal roof for your place. DirecTV will NOT install a dish (new or replacement) on a metal roof. I learned this in a hard way recently when I tried to add HD. Installer would not go onto my metal roof, so I'm "stuck" with SD.:nono:

7. Jul 7, 2010 #7 of 23
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I would not want a dish mounted to a new metal roof anyway.

I'm sure there are other options......

Fascia mount, wall mount, pole mount, etc.

8. Jul 7, 2010 #8 of 23
    Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    My Dad had a metal roof put on and the roofer removed and reinstalled the HD dish successfully using precision measurements,only problem the signal numbers were only about half what they should have been.

A few minuets of tweaking with my Super Buddy fixed that.:)

Also had a metal roof put on my home the roofer put wood (screwed to roof trusses) under the metal sheet where the mount and arms were,It really helped during the reinstall of the dish.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lem if you contact a DirecTV retailer and tell him your problem you might be able to go HD,If I were in Maine I would gladly set you up, can't even get a job here in Tenn. in my chosen field,too many stupid rules and no pay.

9. Jul 7, 2010 #9 of 23
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
  10. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    I wouldn't let the roofers touch the dish to remove it or install it. Disconnect all the cables, remove the dish yourself, put it in the garage or the basement so the roofers can't even see it. If they see it they may try to do you a big favor and re-install it wrong. Thanks, but no thanks. Call DIRECTV to schedule the dish to be re-installed the day after the roof work is done.

Where do you live in Saint Paul ? I live in St. Paul and the only hail I've seen this year was a few pieces of pea sized hail a week and a half ago. Didn't seem like that hail would ruin a roof. I hope a roofer didn't come over and tell you your roof is shot due to the recent hail in the area.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I plan on getting my roof replaced in a few years and I'm going to have a little platform built that the dish can go on. I'll have that done first, before the main construction begins, so hopefully there will be the shortest possible interruption.

12. ggmorton

ggmorton Cool Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I had my roof replaced last fall due to hurricane damage, so I have recently went through this. My roofers removed the dish and reinstalled it correctly with no issues. It didn't need to be realigned at all, and still works great.

I was worried that I was gonna have to call DirecTv to have them come re-align it, but I was lucky I guess. Good luck.

I remember they were doing free re-aligns for people in the hurricane damage areas, so I was gonna try to get them to do it for free even though it had taken me a LONG time to get my roof replaced from the storm damage. But I didn't have to worry about that.

13. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Ditto.

This is what I did last fall when I had my roof replaced due to hail damage. I was without live TV for one night, but I have NetFlix streaming, so I managed ;).

Also, my insurance co. paid for the tech visit, make sure yours does, too.

14. leier911

leier911 AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    I am actually in the Cottage Grove area, we had quarter and nick. size hail for 20+ straight min. plus we had wind in the 75mph range and it ripped a bunch up too. The AC is dented in all the facia is damaged, and it's not pretty!

But THANKS to all for the replies. My thoughts were as many said, to go up myself, take it down and keep it safe, let them do whatever then call D to come and put it back!

15. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I was without TV for five months in 2008 because of a remodel, and again for another month in 2009 because of the same. You'll adapt.

They make this crazy thing called büüks (spelling?). I'd never seen them before.

16. Tulsacoker

Tulsacoker AllStar

Jun 1, 2010
    Yep my insurance did too.....forgot about that.

17. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    +1. Really a nice product.

18. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    Do you live in the house during the 5 month remodel ?
    I'd have put the dish on a pole in the yard for 5 months if I was still living in the house during the remodel.

19. Taltizer

Taltizer Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    They were at my neighbors house today here in virginia and installed there HD dish on there METAL roof she had no problems with them doing it for her.They went from SD to HD.

20. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You can always find an exception (in this case, techs who are ignorant of the policy against installing on metal roofs, despite it being pretty common-sense), but that doesn't change rule. More importantly, it shouldn't change anyone's expectation that a metal roof install will be refused, because 90+% of the time, it will be.