1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help on finding the correct multi-switch

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ktong, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ktong

ktong New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Sorry if my message is too long or that it's a redundant. I've searched but could not find a definitely answer.

I have an Triple LNB Oval 3 dish with 4 build-in outputs switch(on the dish) and 3 receivers. Unfortunately, only 2 wires are running down from the dish to the cables central box where all the cables are then go to the rooms. Since I have 3 receivers but with only 2 cables running down from the dish and I DON'T WANNA RUN THE 3RD AND 4TH wires down, so I'll need to have a multi-switch. I tried various 2x3 and 3x4 like RCA, Terk, Dynex but without success. I'm still not getting all the channels that I suppose to get.

I think this is all due to the reason that the dish has a build in switch. Do you guys knkow any switch that will work for my situation? I've heard of switches call "cascadable multi-switch" that will send the signal correctly, but will the 2x4 or 3x4 cascadable multiswitch works in my case? I just try to avoid running anymore wires down from the dish. If you guys think it will work, then we can I purchase the switch at a local store? I live in Los Angeles, California. Thanks a bunch!

Kurt

2. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    If you hook up a 3x4 multiswitch to only two of the cables coming form the Phase III dish, you will only get the 101 main satellite.

If you want a high end solid state 3x4 multiswitch, IM me. I can send you one out for $20 delivered by Priority Mail.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    What channels are you missing? If they are on the 110 or 119 satellite, the you HAVE TO RUN the 3rd and 4th cable. No other option.

4. ktong

ktong New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    I'm missing the even ones on the 101. I do get all the HD channels.

5. missileman

missileman Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 28, 2004
    I don't understand why you have to run the other two cables......Can't you get all 3 sats on just one cable?

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    missileman,
    Yes you do get all 3 satellites from all four outputs of the oval Phase III dish. But, not if you run only two lines to another multiswitch.

ktong,
    Check your cabling. Somehow your receiver isn't providing the 18v to switch the LNB to the even TPs. This could be a multiswitch problem or a cable that is partially shorted reducing the 18v so that the LNB doesn't switch. Try bypassing as much as you can. Connect a receiver directly to an output on the dish using F/F adapters to bypass the multiswitch.

7. COA

COA Cool Member

Jun 15, 2004
    you have to run the 3rd line. Is your dish a Phase 3 (multiswitch integrated into the LNB) or (what it sounds more like) the older style with the multi-switch attached to the back of the dish with you using a sat c kit. Either way, to properly perform your task, you must run the additional line. A regular 3 x 4 (as stated in above reply) will only deliver 101. The only way to have all 3 satellites sent though a multi-switch is a 4 x #outputs desired switch. (Ex. 4 x 8) and all multi sat D* multiswitches require 4 lines. You can probably "rig" it to work another way but by sacrifice of signal quality, multiple connections, and probably more cost and time.

Is your location that much of a problem to run the 3rd line. And, just a suggestion, if you do go ahead and run the 3rd line, mine as well do the 4th at that time just in case of future options (additional receivers, TIVO-DVR) so you don't have to worry about this anymore.

8. missileman

missileman Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 28, 2004
    Thanks JDSpencer.........I forgot to factor in the multiswitch....You guys are teaching me a lot.....

9. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    There is a powered 8way switch that the 3 sat dish can be plugged into, but you still need all 4 lines from the dish to use it(since it line locks voltage and 22khz tone on each line). Otherwise, you will have to have the 3rd line, and I would recommend running the 4th as wel as was pointed out earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.