1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need help on new dish install

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by joeuser, May 9, 2013.

1. joeuser

joeuser New Member

May 9, 2013
    elmhurst, ny
    I plan on becoming a new subscriber. Here's what we are looking to get.
    America's Top 120: $24.99/mo (for the first year, then $49.99/mo)
    Hindi Megapack: $54.99/mo (this is available on the 119 satellite: Dish 119W)
    Number of tvs: 3
    Receivers: 1Duo Vip 222k and 1 Solo (Duo: Free, Solo: $7/mo)

What I want to know is what is the correct satellite dish installation for my home: Eastern/Western ARC? and which Dish: 1000.2 or 1000.4? And which LNBF? Do we need more than 1 Dish on the roof?
    I don't know which satellite carries of Local channels (in SD or HD). NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX/PBS etc... (is it 129W?)
    Also, we may be connecting more TVs in the future so we want to have the install capable of simply adding one more coax to the connectivity and be good to go rather than re-work the existing install.

So what I want to know is what is the right configuration and should we be specifically asking for a particular type of install.
    For instance, with the Duo VIP 222K receiver, the connectivity should be such that the cabling from the receiver to the 2nd TV should NOT be routed from inside the house. I was told a diplexer/triplexer should be used, does this make sense?

Are there diagrams which describe the connections from the satellite to the VIP222K and the 2nd TV with the diplexer / triplexer?

Please help.

Thanks,
    J

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I believe the Hindi Mega Pak is on the 118.7 satellite, so you will need either a Dish 500+ or a Dish 1000+ dish depending on where your locals are.

If your locals are on EA (probably are since you are in NY), you need an EA Dish 1000.4 plus a Dish 500+.

If you are on WA, the Dish 1000+ will be all you need.

I also recommend a 722k instead of the 222k, it is only $7 more a month you get a DVR and once you use one you will never do without one.

Dish will install all your equipment to suit your needs, you do not need to worry about where does this wire go and that wire, just let the techs install the system, verify that it is working, sign the work order and sit back and enjoy.

If you plan to add another TV in the future, all that will be necessary is to run another coaxial cable from the satellite to the new receiver.

3. joeuser

joeuser New Member

May 9, 2013
    elmhurst, ny
    Crap!
    I just realized that the Hindi Megapack is western arc 118.7 only.
    With respect to 722k, I don't think its $7 extra, it is $10 extra with DVR service.
    I need 2 DISH setup "IF" i care about the local channels. If I don't care about my locals, I can have a western arc setup (with legacy programming where some channels are still not updated to the mpeg4 standard).
    But since I do care about my local channels, I'm better off having the satellite guys come over and point my dish 1000+ to the eastern arc with mpeg4 and HD) for all my programming except for my Indian/Hindi megapack (for which they will probably use the dish 500+ pointed to 119).

I just educated myself on Dish's satellite thru lyngsat.

One last question: Can dish installers make use of my OTA antenna to receive Local channels in HD rather than point to the eastern arc? In this case I might be able to get away with pointing to the western arc and get all my programming from there (and rely on the antenna for my OTAs locals).

Let me know if this makes sense.

J

4. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    722K is only $7 dvr fee, 922 brings it up to $10 as does a Hopper until the 22 of the month.

5. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    1000+ is WA only 1000.4 & 1000.2 are EA dishes

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    If you need EA plus internationals you probably need a 1000.4 EA dish plus a 500+ side dish for Internationals at 118.7, the 118.7 D500+ plugs into the input port on the D1000.4 and the D1000.4 plugs into your receivers.

Just order your channels and Dish will install the proper equipment.

2 people like this.
  7. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    If you get a 722K, you will need to have them add an OTA module in order to receive channels over the air or you can order one at Solid Signal. I recommending getting that and the two dish setup. You will be able to record up to 2 OTA & 2 Sat. channels at the same time, you get all of the subchannels for your locals & you may receive more locals OTA than via satellite.

8. rebelwitacause

rebelwitacause New Member

May 17, 2013
    be careful though if it is an old style 500+ lnb then you can plug in into the input on the 1k.4 lnb but if it is a new style u will have to add a switch in the system