1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help please....(771) 2-wb68's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by trent741, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1 of 40
    trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    Hi there, I have 4-HD recievers & 3 sd recievers. Didn't have enough outputs with 1 wb-68 & DTV would not come out and do anything for free until I ordered something else. So I have been reading on the forum about running 2- wb68's so I can have enough outputs, I just got done with the installation and all my recievers are working but some channels don't come in and say searching for signal on satellite (771). I am pretty sure I have the installation correct. 4 lines from satellite going into 4 splitters(passive on both legs)
    On each output from splitter going to same input on each wb68. I have triple checked before posting and seeing if anyone has any ideas what is causing this...thanks!

2. Jan 2, 2012 #2 of 40
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You say your splitters are "passive on both legs". They need to be power-PASSING on both legs. They also need to be wide-band splitters. Which splitters are you using?

3. Jan 2, 2012 #3 of 40
    trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    Sorry if I said it wrong, but they are power passing on both ports. I am using 4- Ideal 85-332 which are 5-2.3 ghz. I just checked both hd-dvrs downstairs are getting all the channels, now both hd-dvr's upstairs aren't getting all channels and all the hd-dvr's are using the same wb-68, kinda weird?

4. Jan 2, 2012 #4 of 40
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    where are you finding they pass power on both ports?

All the web listings/images, of them, suggest only one leg is power passing.

5. Jan 2, 2012 #5 of 40
    trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    Ok, u had me thinking for a minute that I got the wrong ones. I double checked and they are power passing on both ports. I can send pic of the splitter if needed. But I am positive they are the right ones. So any idea why I am having this problem?

6. Jan 2, 2012 #6 of 40
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Think you might need to because this doesn't show both sides are power passing:
    [​IMG]

It took a couple of mins:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Jan 2, 2012 #7 of 40
    trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    wow that is funny! I have the same part # but shows that it is power passing on both ports, will post pic in a min.

8. Jan 2, 2012 #8 of 40
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It would be very easy to test:
    connect a receiver to one output. Does it work?
    Connect to the other output. Does it work?

9. Jan 2, 2012 #9 of 40
    trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    IMAG0233.jpg

Same part # but mine shows power pass on both ports

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So it does.

Guess the question now is do both really work?

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Post your signal strength so we can see what transponders are low. The setup you chose to do causes lower signal strength from the get go. If the channels are consistent across every receiver it's more than likely going to be an alignement issue.

Why didn't you do a DIY SWM 16 instead?

12. trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    It is not an alignment issue, was working perfectly for the last 2 yrs up until I went to add the 2nd wb68. What I am doing now is trying coax into splitters and going out of left sides of splitters into 1 of the wb68's, then I will try the right sides of the splitters with the same wb68.

13. trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    Ok, here are the results...when going out of either side of splitter into the one wb68, my sd boxes get all channels. My hd-dvr's are missing channels(says searching for signal), Now when i go out either sides of splitters into the other wb68 everything is working & get all channels on HD & SD receivers...only 1 small problem, when i channel up on the HD receivers it makes a funny "pop" sound but does come in after that. Except for that small popping sound, I take it that my 1 wb68 is bad...or is it since it works when i hook up the SD receiver to it????

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The WB68 are powered from the receivers. So if you remove receivers you lose power. Without seeing your entire wiring diagram it sounds like you removed all the power from one leg and that caused one of your 6x8's to stop working.

Just because it was working for the last 2 years you just introduced something that reduced your signal strength so you're now starting off with less signal than you had before.

An easier way to test is connect everything like you had it. Then swap the sides and see if the problem follows the receivers or if it shows up on the other receivers.

This is a conversation that was just had a little bit ago. Here's the link to VoS explaining the signal reduction of this setup.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2927151#post2927151

15. trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    Ok, what should I try besides what I have already done to fix this, or to rule out that 1 multiswitch is indeed bad?

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Another thing here is these connectors aren't tightened the same. Makes sure all connectors are in good condition/shape and "snug" [the one on the left doesn't look to be]

17. trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    Ok, I thought this site was to "help" with technical issues? I know you are trying to help me but....
    (1) I first was told I have the wrong splitter, even after I stated I had the correct one.
    (2) I was asked why I dont go with SWM, I don't want SWM!

I also have all my connections snugged up tight, I am not retarded at all...The pic just happened to be taken at a time where I was trying different things to correct my problem. I do appreciate the help, but please dont try to help me by asking why I am not SWM'ing it or other things...I want to use the (2) WB68's together just like others, nothing else

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Attitude through the internet. :nono:

I have no clue what you've done, other than what I can see from a photo or two.
    With some "simple troubleshooting", one should be able to find what the problem is.

19. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I'd check that the splitters are going to the same input on both WB68's. I know you've said you've triple checked it but one more time wouldn't hurt. If they don't match it can cause some strange issues that could show up as 771's.

Other than that it might be a bad switch or a bad splitter. I'd try removing the splitters and hooking up just one WB68. Test all the ports on it to make sure that it is working and then swap in the other WB68. If both switches work individually then try hooking it back up with the splitters.

Do you have any exceptionally long runs anywhere? That can cause a voltage drop that can sometimes cause 771 problems. Adding splitters and unpowered switches can increase the voltage drop.

20. trent741

trent741 AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    Thank you Evan....I will bypass the splitters completley and hook up each multiswitch individually and see if they both work first and the go back to trying them together again. I do have long runs, multiswitch is in basement and have the coax going from multiswitch up to attic and the down walls to the receivers.