1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

need help selecting a outdoor antenna

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by kb8wlu, Jan 20, 2013.

1. kb8wlu

kb8wlu New Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I live in the 48091 area code i trying to pick up wtol broadcast station about 56 miles southwest of me what would be a good antenna to use for this application since i tried it on my patio with a 33db gain amplifier on a 10 element vhf and uhf scanned the tv but still no luck? but plan on getting up about 35ft on a tv tripod.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
  3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    walk around, find your neighbor with TV antennas, ask his experience ...

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    WTOL is on RF channel 11 and you have another VHF high station close by.

This and several UHF stations < 10 miles from you, probably preclude the use of a pre-amp - might overload your tuner.

I would look at http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html and select one of the 4 or 5 combo or VHF-high antenna listed there that are all excellent on channel 11.