1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need Help Seting Yamaha Rec. Graphic Eq.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by leier911, Jan 22, 2010.

1. leier911

leier911 AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    Hello. I have a Yamaha Receiver, and I trying to tweak it nicely. I have adjusted the levels as good as I could do, etc. I did notice they have a five band graphic equalizer.

100hz
    30hz
    1khz
    3khz
    10khz

The default setting was all 0, and I have been testing with different settings, but is there a general setting for each? Something I should or shouldn't do? A specific one too high, low?

Any help?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The correct settings depend on your room acoustics and your speakers...unless you are really looking to get serious about it just set it up to how it sounds best to you.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Please, do yourself a huge favor and DON'T use the EQ just because it exists. EQ is designed to let you make *minor* adjustments to compensate for deficiencies in your speakers or the source material, but most people way overuse them, usually cranking up the bass and highs and dropping out the midrange and leaving their systems sounding horribly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [The dreaded equalizer "V".]

Engineers and producers spend millions of dollars balancing, mixing, and EQing music and soundtracks, and honestly, the less you do to it beyond that, the better off you'll be. Higher-end receivers and pre-amps usually offer a switch to completely bypass any EQ circuitry because audiophiles know that "less is more."

The component that has, by far, the largest impact on what you hear are your speakers. And aside from buying good ones, the next biggest thing to improving the sound is speaker placement. Fix/improve those things and you probably won't need to EQ at all. :)

4. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I would use an equalizer similar and in addition to the amplifier gain on each speaker if it had one. That is to match or normalize the volume levels of the different tones or bands of sound. Using a sound meter and a music sample of a sweep thru 20 hertz to 20k hertz all tones can be equalized. Your receiver probably can do this automatically with a microphone. From there you can manually custom boost or raise bass (below 100hz) tones etc. to please. You may be able to save different custom eq settings depending on type of sound listening mode.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Or do what I did:

Setup: Auto calibrate

wait about 10 minutes.....:lol: