1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jdogi70, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jdogi70

jdogi70 Mentor

Jun 3, 2008
    Los Angeles
    ok i really need help i have 2 potential jobs. they both have existing directv setups one had a 6x16 wanting to add 8 more hd receivers. the other job has 20 receivers using a 3lnb dish with 3 4x8 switches and splitters these 2 jobs could be big for me if anyone has an idea or even better some diagrams i would sincerly appreciate it.

2. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    On the first job you would need to post the model numbers for the receivers that are on that 6x16.

What is it that your trying to accomplish on the second job.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    More information would be helpful.

4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Moving to installation forum.

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Sounds like a headache waiting to happen for the customers however this should go in the installation forum.

6. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    The diagrams in this post should help you understand what you need to do for both your jobs. Go down to entries 11 and 20 for the diagrams.

7. jdogi70

jdogi70 Mentor

Jun 3, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Thank you brother this will definitely help with my high priced client in Beverly hills its for the owner of the Detroit pistons he owns some sort of real estate building called platinum equity so this will help also i have a swm 16 can i cascade it with a swm 8 or do they have to be the same ? also my other job bid is for a frat house at ucla now they have a triple sat dish with 3 4x8 switches and some splitteres now they might be looking for a more cost effective way but since they have 20 rcvrs i want to give them the chance to be able to upgrade to dvrs without having to run the second line so essentially i would need a setup for forty tuners since swm uses 2 tuners off the splitters also if not how can i just use a kaku dish and 6x8 switches ? thanks for any help or diagrams sorry for the long reply

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Your Frat house job might be better served with a SWiM-32, which can also be cascaded to feed another.
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ingle-Wire-Multi-Switch-(32-Channel)-(SWM-32)

A SWM8 can be cascaded off a SWiM-16, but a SWiM-16 can't be off a SWM8, because the SWM8 only has three ports and also doesn't pass the Ka-lo signals.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. jdogi70

jdogi70 Mentor

Jun 3, 2008
    Los Angeles
    wow thanks oldschool your really helping me alot i guess one last question where i get confused if i have a swm 32 or 2 swm 16s and have only 20 rcvrs with 32 tuners can they all upgrade to hd dvrs? or will there be a conflict because from what i know off an 8wy splitter you can only have 4 dvrs

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you want to ensure that ANY of the receivers can later be swapped out with a DVR, then you should use 4 way splitters, and only put 4 receivers on each leg of the SWM multiswitch. So a SWM16 would cover 8 receivers, an SWM32 would cover 16 receivers.
    IOW, you need to only use 1/2 the capacity of each leg, to allow for the second tuner of the DVR unless you want to rewire things later to add them. So 20 receivers would require an SWM32 and an SWM16 to allow for expansion. And hope no one gets an HMC34 :)

11. jdogi70

jdogi70 Mentor

Jun 3, 2008
    Los Angeles
    ok cool thank you as well no since its a frat house i think they only want hd and hd dvrs to record while their in class they have an old 3 lnb dish with 4wy splitters and 3 4x8 switches.thanks again where can i get diagrams for this ive looked all over the net and i cant find any diagrams. i have an e2 expander can i use that with a swm 16 and swm 8 ?

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I know nothing about the e2, so cant answer that one.

Just use the diagram above, replace the 8 way splitters with 4 ways, and connect the 4 legacy ports (cascade out) on the swm32 to the inputs on the swm16.

13. jdogi70

jdogi70 Mentor

Jun 3, 2008
    Los Angeles
    thanks again man the e2 is a bridge so you can plug in 2 swm switches and only have to use one pwr inserter but i think ill this route thanks again very helpfyl.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Something to consider when using the SWM32, if the client desires to use MRV you will need to do some extra installation. The SWM32 is really two SWM16s together, but there is no DECA bridge between them. So, receivers connected to SWM1 Output and SWM2 Output will see each other, but they will not see receivers connected to SWM3 Output and SWM4 Output.

In this case, you will need to install a CCK for each side of the SWM32 and MRV traffic will then be going over the client's home network. Also, if you cascade another SWM, you will also need a CCK for that SWM as well.

- Merg

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The E2 has mostly been replaced with the SWiM-16, or even the SWiM-32.

Now here's a bit more to look at/think about.

On the frat house, how are the receivers being setup? all on one account, or each has their own?

The other job, more than likely will be looking for the "connected home" networking [DECA], so using 2 SWiM-16s would require two DECA bridges [CCK], one one each SWiM-16 connecting to the home network/router for internet. This combines the two SWiM-16s and recordings can be viewed everywhere.

The frat house would be hard to go with the "connected home", as there are just too many people.
    The SWiM-32 would only "cluster" the receivers on each output, but if you used a CCK, on each, connecting to the same router, you'll have a nightmare. So my suggestion is to stay away from trying.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I wonder how DirecTV classifies a frat house: residential or commercial? I thought I read that whole house was only for residential and they don't allow it activated on commercial accounts.

17. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    scott you state that you have moved this post to the installion forum. AH-this IS the installion forum.

If there is another one, where is it?

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It started in the tips & tricks forum, but would get more attention here.

19. jdogi70

jdogi70 Mentor

Jun 3, 2008
    Los Angeles
    @the merg the frat house I think is just wanting to upgrade to hd and the possibility of dvrs they have a couple of dvrs now but mainly want hd also the other customer is a gazillioneer so they just want more hd receivers no whole home

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I would bet this customer will change their mind, so I'd plan for it ahead of time.