1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need info onhow to get international programming (95 deg)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ktoolsie, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ktoolsie

ktoolsie New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    I already have Comcast cable and do wish to keep them as my main provider. However, I want to subscribe to some programming on DirecTV's satellite at 95 degs longitude.

I have an old RCA receiver (the first one with an optical output) and a regular single LNB 18? dish. Will this enable me to get the programming off the 95 deg bird. Bear in mind, I do not care about getting anything of 101 or any of the other satellites, so I'm thinking a single LNB dish pointed just at the satellite I want.

Will this work or do I need a new receiver with the 36" dish?

Many Thanks

Kurt

2. nrholland

nrholland AllStar

Apr 26, 2002
    You'll probably need a new receiver. You'll definately need a new dish. The 18" dish won't work on the 95 sat.

3. alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    There are only a handful of recievers that have the ability to get programming from the 95 postion (72.5 as well, recievers that get one can get the other). The complete list is available over at this url < http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39054 >. Furthermore, the 95 degree satellite is a FSS Satellite and therefore, your BSS LNB will not work. Additionally, since it is FSS and the frequencies are at a different level compared to a BSS, you will be required to get at least a 32'' dish (minimum for getting FSS singal in general). I believe DirecTV is selling 90cm dishs (not sure what that compares to size wise).

HOWEVER, I do believe that all of the stations that DirecTV has on its internatioal orbital slot is also available on an 18'' on the 61.5/148 BSS locations housed by Dish Network. At least you will be able to use your smaller dish if that is the programming you are looking for. Your best bet is to call both Dish Network and DirecTV and see which was suits your needs being that you need only specific international stations that are not available on Comcast.

4. ktoolsie

ktoolsie New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Thanks for the explanation, that was the piece of information that I was missing. I did a quick google search and was able to find the following:

So now that I know that the DirecTV satellite at 95 deg is of the FSS type rather than the BSS type used for their major programming, I realize that I will definitely need a larger dish to overcome the lower power rating of the 95 deg bird. Furthermore I now understand why it is so much harder to aim your dish at the 95 deg bird (2 deg rather than 9 deg separation between satellites) and why a professional install is recommended.

Kurt

5. Nawaz

Nawaz New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Alebowgm...THAT is an interesting statement. Would appreciate if you can clarify this a bit further. Does this mean that if I subscribe to DirecTv and point a 18" dish to 61.5 or 148, I should be able to get the DirecTv channels?? Or did you mean that similiar Int'l channels are available on Dish Network?? If it is the 2nd one, then that would be incorrect as DirecTv has StarPlus and as far as I know the Int'l channels available via DishNetwork are not available (yet) on DirecTv.

Thankz.

Nawaz.

6. 2devnull

2devnull Cool Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Any news on getting 101 and 95 using a DTV international dish? Any ideas to make the installation easier given only the 2 deg separation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.