1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Install Advice with 2 6x8

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mbrown520, Jul 17, 2010.

1. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    Had installer here today..added 5th dvr so that meant I went from 1 6x8 to 2..off course installer proceeded to cascade them..I mentioned that I thought that was not correct per Directtv and that prooblems can occur...he said, no you dont want the other way (with the splitters)...this is better..couldnt talk him onto to doing it correctly (or what I belive is correct)..I think he didnt do this to save time and becasue he had no materials...after all he had to run elsewhere fro 45 minutes to get some tools.....so i called directtv and the were less than helpful..said they could send the tech back which would do know good...I was on the phone for an hour and they couldnt even tell him if the install was incorrect...tried to talk them ino just sending me the correct spitters and jumpers and I would do myself..no luck there either..what should I do? I know I could buy the stuff but thats not what should have to be done. Sorry for the long post but this has got me fired up.

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You are correct that the WB68s should NOT be cascaded. You have to use them with the splitters driving the two multiswitches in parallel. Many techs don't seem to realize this because in a lot of installations cascading works OK. You will just have to call DirecTv again and ask them to get a tech out to your house again.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If everything is working well then don't worry about it. But, do some testing by tuning each DVR to different channels and surf around to see if all works properly. If not, call for a fix.

This set up can only handle 12 tuners, so if you should ever add a couple more DVRs they would need to change things.

Did you give any thought to adding MRV/DECA?

4. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I initially had a set up with two wb68s installed correctly. Nevertheless, I kept getting 771 errors and lock ups. This all changed when Directv replaced the two wb68s with one wb616.

5. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    Thanks for input..to answer some questions..things seem to work ok..at first had 771 on one tuner on one channel only..weird..reset and it works..for how long who knows. I did consider MRV but I already had 4 dvrs..seems to me MRV is only really useful when you are starting from scratch and dont already have a ton of dvrs to begin with....I might just say heck with it and buy the splitters, make the jumpers and do myself..problem is I dont know what splitters to get...loked on solid signal but cant figure it out..anyone have knowledge on what splitters I need?

6. killerko

killerko Cool Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I recently was drop shipped an additional dvr thinking I would replace a tivo with it. Instead, I chose to keep the tivo and add the additional dvr to my account. This called for more ports so I chose to pay a local tech out of pocket to add an additional multi-switch. He used the cascade method & everything seems to be working fine (3 20's, 2 21's & 2 tivos). I'm wondering if I'll run into problems down the road. Also, was I entitled to a free upgrade from D.

7. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    It's a lot more complicated than just buying some splitters. Should you want to attempt this endeavor yourself it will most certainly be a challenge.

I'm assuming all of your DVR's are HD-DVR's?

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

Important notes:

- You must use satellite-rated (5-2250 MHz or better), single or both-side power-passing splitters (both-sides is preferred in this application). You can't use just any old cable splitter.

- When you split a line from the dish with a splitter, the outputs of the splitter need to go into the same port on both switches, as the diagram shows. So, if you split a line and connect the first splitter output to the 18v 22k port on the first switch, it must be connected to the 18v 22k port on the second switch as well. If you mix them up, it won't work, and you'll get "searching for satellite" and other errors.

9. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    Yea I have seen all the diagrams pretty sure I can handle..and I know you cant just use any splitter thats why I was hoping somone could point me to a splitter that would work

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    To the OP: it's really not complicated or challenging to put the switches in parallel (and really should be done to eliminate problems.) Battlezone posted all of the info you need to do the job. You can even purchase pigtail jumpers so you don't need to make them yourself. The most important part is to make sure that each input on the WB68 is correctly matched to the same splitter.

11. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    Thats what I thought looking at diagrams..any idea where i can get the jumpers and splitters..found the completeset up at Solid signal but it includes the switches as well....dont need those

12. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Try: www.monoprice.com for jumpers, but you'll likely need to go to solidsignal for the splitters. They have them as stand-alone items.

13. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    good idea..i buy all my cables from them..dont know why i didnt check there also

14. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    found this one at ss..is this the correct one

2 Way High Frequency Satellite Splitter (One Port Passive)
    Model: P-6102-P | SKU:
    Availability: In Stock

15. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Should work fine. Just make sure that you connect the power passing side of the splitters to the same WB68.

16. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    For this application I'd recommend dual power passing, or power "steering" splitters

17. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You are correct, splitters that pass on one port only will NOT work with two WB68s because the multiswitches are unpowered (sorry jdspencer, you are wrong this time!!) They are fine if you are trying to drive two SWM8s.

18. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I believe the work order should actually call for a SWiM16 if my installation matrix paperwork is correct.

19. mbrown520

mbrown520 AllStar

Jun 19, 2007
    ok I either need to find where I can order these or somehow get dtv to rectify this issue....anyone has suggestion...I cant find the splitters anywhere..but I dont really want to call dtv either..rather do myself

20. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009