1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new stereo

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lobsigh, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lobsigh

lobsigh New Member

Jan 26, 2007
    My pioneer elite receiver just died and I am looking for a new receiver that has HDMI
    connections. My Pioneer has been good for a long time but I have not kept up with all the new stuff. I have the hr20-700 hooked up to a 61 inch LG DLP TV. with bose surround sound speakers and powered sub. Anyone have any suggestions for a new unit or a good website to compare the products that are now available.

I am a little confused about the HDMI audio that is just pass thru.

Thanks in advance.......:lol: :confused:

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    It only uses the HDMI for video. You still need to use a digital audio cable for the audio.

It depends on how much you want to spend. There will be new receivers coming out this summer with HDMI 1.3. You will need that if you want to get 7.1 DTS Master and 7.1 Dolby HD. I myself am waiting for the new Denon units to come out. Then I will move my Pioneer Elite to my other set up.

3. Apr 1, 2007 #3 of 17
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you get a receiver with HDMI, you should not need to use the optical for audio. That is definitely the cleanest install. You run your HDMI's to the receiver, and one from the receiver to the TV. When you switch inputs on the receiver both the auiod and video will switch accordingly.

I have an Onkyo on my main system, which I love. I also have an Harmon Kardon on another system, an I like it too, but not as much as my Onkyo. I have gone through many receivers in the past decade or two, and without getting into the really high end or separates, I don't think you can do much better than the Onkyo.

CNET.com is a decent resource for reveiws and specs. The user opinions are pretty helpful. You can also get good user opinions at circuitcity.com.

4. Apr 1, 2007 #4 of 17
    mbhelfman

mbhelfman Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    I have the Onkyo SR-604 and absolutely love it. You cannot go wrong with this unit.

5. Apr 1, 2007 #5 of 17
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Some receiver's with HDMI only will play the video. That is why it is called HDMI pass through. You have to be care full of what kind of receiver you get because if you do get a HDMI pass through receiver you have to run a digital optical or if you have the new HR20-100 you can run a digital coaxial.

6. Apr 1, 2007 #6 of 17
    MichaelP

MichaelP Godfather

Dec 5, 2006
    I recently bought a Sony STR-DG800 which I got from J&R.com for about $280. It was the only A/V receiver I found with HDMI pass-through for less than $500. But if you want to spend more you can.

7. Apr 1, 2007 #7 of 17
    Lynskyn

Lynskyn Mentor

Dec 17, 2005
    The Marantz SR7001 has 4 HDMI 1.2 inputs, 4 component inputs, upconversion of composite, s-video, and component to HDMI, and a nice remote. I have been very happy with mine. You should be able to get one online for around $975.

8. Apr 1, 2007 #8 of 17
    rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    Most of the Denon receivers I am familiar with have at least two, and in some models, three HDMI in with one HDMI out port.
    Many of their models also upconvert component/S-video and composite signals to 720p and 1080i.
    Although Denons can get a bit pricey, they do have several moderately priced models available.

For really great prices from an authorized dealer, go to:

http://hipposaudiovideo.com/

I saved almost $500 on my Denon AVR 4306.

9. Apr 1, 2007 #9 of 17
    lobsigh

lobsigh New Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at the Onkyo 604 and the Onkyo 674.

mbhelfman do you know if the 604 is audio pass thru or not?

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The Onkyo 604 will handle the audio via HDMI.

11. Strejcek

Strejcek Icon

Sep 27, 2006
    Agreed, Onkyo is a great receiver. I have two of them and have never had a problem with either one.

12. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    +1 for Onkyo

13. lobsigh

lobsigh New Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Thanks for all the info I have it narrowed down to the onyko 674 or the
    Yamaha RX-V661. Does anyone have any opinion on the yamaha unit vs the onyko.

Thanks again you all have been very helpful.:D :D :D

lobsigh

14. LA_john

LA_john Mentor

Feb 16, 2007
    I too am thinking about an amp upgrade. I have Denon now but the OSD only works at 480i which is a negative for me. Does the Onkyo provide OSD thru the HDMI connection?

15. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    In the past, I have found Yamaha recivers to have a slightly tinny sound. Onkyo, to my ears, sounds much more natural.

However, this is much like the DLP thread the other day. It's all personal preference. You need to go someplace that has both on display and listen to them. Bring your own music and play each one through the same speakers. I would also suggest buying it from someplace with a good return policy. It is likely to sound very different in your house then in the store. Especially if the store has a listening room.

16. simonkodousek

simonkodousek Godfather

Feb 19, 2007
    What Bose system do you have? If you have a relatively good one you might want to think about a Bose receiver. :grin:

17. Strejcek

Strejcek Icon

Sep 27, 2006
    I do not believe so, only through component video out. I think the only Onkyo receiver that displays OSD through HDMI is the TX-NR1000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.