1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Non-Viiv Networking for Dummies Help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Mason, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mason

Mason New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    If anyone has the time and patience, I could really use some hr-20 Non-ViiV networking for dummies help. I’ve read through most of the posts and tinkered a bit with it, but really need more of a “click on this, then click on that” type of walkthrough.

Here’s is what I have so far:

My hr-20 (software version 0x11b) is connected by an ethernet cable to my vonage router which is connected via ethernet cable to my wireless g router. When I run the test on the hr-20 I get a network connection and an internet connection. If I connect the hr-20 directly to the wireless router, I only get a network connection and not the internet. I also have a ps3 wirelessly connected (if that matters).

I am running Windows XP home on one computer and XP Pro on the other. They both have Norton Antivirus 2006 on them. I have a wireless network already set up between the two computers. I have downloaded both wmp11 and tversity. When pulling up the menu on the hr-20 I don’t see anything different and when looking in my network or through the various programs, I don’t see the hr-20.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    With WMP, have you enabled sharing?
    Have you imported your media into the WMP library?
    What firewall are you running? Has any firewall asked you for permission to allow WMP or TVersity to run it's apps? If not you may need to manually open up ports.
    You say you don't see anything different in the menus. No Music & Photos?
    Does your router see the HR20 on your DHCP client table?

3. Mason

Mason New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    With WMP, have you enabled sharing? - Yes, Clicked on Library->Media Sharing (nothing in that big box)-> settings->and checked the "allow new devices automatically box"

Have you imported your media into the WMP library? - Yes, currently have pictures in it

What firewall are you running? Has any firewall asked you for permission to allow WMP or TVersity to run it's apps? - Not exactly sure what you mean. I have windows firewall and Norton Antivirus and nothing has asked for permission

If not you may need to manually open up ports. - I've played with this a little but not really sure what I'm doing

You say you don't see anything different in the menus. No Music & Photos? - Nope

Does your router see the HR20 on your DHCP client table? - How do I check?

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The HR20 must be directly connected to the wireless router for this to work. You should cycle the power (unplug power, wait a minute and plug it back in) on the HR20 after connecting it so that it fetches an address from your wireless network.

Get out your wireless router documentation and have it handy. You're going to need to know how to "log in" to your router to check some numbers (ie LAN IP address, DHCP table). Be prepared to find the IP address of at least one of the computers and the HR20.

5. Mason

Mason New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    That must have been the problem. Once I connected directly to the wireless router and cycled the power on the hr-20 the "music and photos" folder showed up and I was able to view most of my content (not all songs and seemed to be freezing up a lot). Guess I need to play with it and some of the other ones (tversity, twonky, etc) to see which works best.

Thanks for you help guys!

6. srtpusher

srtpusher Cool Member

Jan 25, 2007

MINE FINALLY WORKED!!!

i was just turning the ower off on the front panel. i guess that wasn't enough. i unplugged it - rebooted - and viola!!! it works. both wmp11 and twonky worked.. since i had the both running - it had both computers available.

thank you - my wife is gonna love this!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.