1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by malarchuk, Apr 11, 2012.

1. malarchuk

malarchuk Cool Member

Mar 17, 2009
    I have been a long term DirecTV customer and just had 2 HR24's swapped out under the protection plan with 2 HR21's. The HR21's that were installed are obviously used as they are quite marked up (scratches, etc..). The installer even said that I was getting "garbage" equipment, but those were the last 2 DVR's on his truck.

There is quite a performance difference between the two models, not to mention the condition of the "new" DVR's. Am I also correct that I lost hard drive space -320GB (HR21) vs. 500GB (HR24)?

We had other problems with the installer such as leaving all of the empty boxes, old SWM LNB and old coax behind my house. Anyway, I contacted DirecTV with these issues and they let me know they can't guarantee specific models, even though the CSR said specifically I would be getting HR24's in return. The CSR offered that one up as I knew from this board that asking for a specific replacement model would get me no where. The CSR also pointed me to a website and phone number for me to get and use "proper disposal guidelines" for the old equipment.

Concerning the condition of the DVR's, the CSR indicated that without an issue DirecTV cannot switch DVR's based on appearance. I am very frustrated and don't know what to do next.

Any help/ideas?

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    What was wrong with the 24's?

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Maybe nothing wrong with the 24's - Based on the Op's lament of trash left behind (lnb & old coax). The Service Tech Change out everything as a way to avoid a Charge back from his HSP (employer)-When the sub calls back in with a problem (including trash being left) that may require another address visit.

So he is left with All * New Plant and Equipment to continue trouble free service and not require another visit in at least 3 yrs. resulting in uninterrupted
    Revenue stream.

4. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I wouldn't let them exchange the 24's

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I agree (Had it been my experience) I wouldn't have let it happen either (unless) the units were unable to be powered on.

Suggest he sends a email to ellen.filipiak@directv.com to see if he has any recourse.

6. malarchuk

malarchuk Cool Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Both 24's would not power on due to a suspected lightning strike.

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Then that makes sense as to why the were swapped out - I think your only recourse would have been to refuse the HR21's and request that He/ someone else return with like equipment.

Now that they are replaced I doubt they will come back and swap them out.

8. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Wow that stinks

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When you turn in a bad HR you're supposed to get one that is equal to or better than the bad HR. In this case that didn't happen because the 24s have 500GB drives and the "new" 21s have 320GB drives. I'd never let a contractor leave my home until he cleans up after himself. When you sign the installer's work sheet you release him. Don't sign unless you're satisfied.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't remember for sure, but I believe the 24s have power fuses in them. Probably blew them. I would have popped the top and checked.

Rich

11. malarchuk

malarchuk Cool Member

Mar 17, 2009
    I also would not have let him leave without cleaning up. The empty boxes were left in less than obvious places and the old SWM LNB was in my backyard in the grass.

It probably doen't mean anything, but I wrote on the service order that I was not happy with the HR21's. Lesson learned on that one.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You really have to stay with the installers all the way thru the job. Found that out the hard way years ago. I'm sure their training covers cleaning up after a job.

Rich

13. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I had to have a HR24 replaced under the protection plan back in December because the HDD died. They sent an installer the next day, he called before he arrived to let me know that he would be there soon, the first thing I asked him was if he had a HR24 to replace this HR24, he said that he did. Had he not had them, or showed up and did not have any, I would just have tried to reschedule until he did. Oddly enough, in conversation with him he said that they (what ever subcontractor he is with) very rarely ever had anything other than the HR24 any more, he said what they did have they used in situations when MRV is not active on the account.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's the way it is here in Jersey too.

Rich

15. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Im suprised he had 21's on the truck, I could see if it was coming from DirecTv

16. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    This is a good example of one of those times where it would have been better working with a private contractor. From my experience a lot of those guys have nothing but the new equipment as their distributors like perfect 10 or PDI have nothing else but those to sell to them. I find it weird that I have read many posts where people recommended ONLY going directly through Dish or Directv while there are some good reasons to go private route.

I understand this is Directv policy and my post does not help the OP.

17. malarchuk

malarchuk Cool Member

Mar 17, 2009
    It appears that we may have gotten through to someone as we got a call yesterday saying that 2 HR24's will be shipped out to replace the HR21's that were installed. We will see what happens.

Either way, I definitely learned a few lessons dealing with DirecTV this time and some valuable tips from the posts on this board.

18. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY

Thats some good news, lets us now what happens

19. malarchuk

malarchuk Cool Member

Mar 17, 2009
    I will. Thanks to everyone for the advice and tips.

20. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I remember reading awhile back that HR24s were being replaced with HR24s. One of the reasons stated was because of built in DECA.