1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help please

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by ron mexico75, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1 of 36
    ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I just bought a tv off Amazon last week for the bedroom. I am getting ready to purchase another for the family room and haven't decided on which brand or what kind. I have a few but I will start another thread about that.

The tv I need help with is SAMSUNG model # UN37EH5000. I went online and used some "recommended" settings. I will post those below. The issue I have, if it's really an issue I'm not sure, but I notice a white cloud or splotch in the center of the tv during dark scenes. If the tv show being watched goes to commercial, you know how there is that 1 or 2 second dead spot where the screen goes black? You can see it there and you can see it when powering off and there is that 2 second delay before it actually powers off.

Is this normal? I called Samsung CS this morning and explained the issue exactly like I did here. The lady said this IS normal. She stated that I should have the picture set on Standard or Movie and the backlight around 7. She said that the spot is normal and that it will go away within 1-2 weeks. She gave me a reference # in case it does not and said to call back.

I called "tech support" at Amazon and the guy said it's normal. That you will always get "bleed through" with an LED and that is just what you get regarless if you buy a $400 or $3000 model. Kind of 2 different answers fom Samsung and this guy at Amazon.

I have DirecTV connected by HDMI. What do you all think?

Here are the settings that I am using. Since using these settings it's not half as bad but it's still there.

Mode: Standard
    Backlight: 10 (this can be increased for darker rooms)
    Contrast: 100
    Brightness: 44
    Sharpness: 5
    Color: 55
    Tint (G/R): 49/51

Advanced Settings:
    Color Space: Native
    White Balance: 25, 25, 25, 0, 30, 30
    Gamma: -1
    Dynamic Contrast: Off
    Black Tone: Off
    Flesh Tone: 0
    Motion Lighting: Off

Picture Options:
    Color Tone: Warm 2
    Size: Screen Fit
    Digital Noise Filter: Auto
    HDMI Black Level: (greyed out)
    Film Mode: Off (greyed out)
    LED Motion Plus: On

2. Jun 4, 2013 #2 of 36
    ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    anyone????

3. Jun 4, 2013 #3 of 36
    ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    hello....anyone know about this Samsung or the issue in general?

4. Jun 4, 2013 #4 of 36
    ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    So maybe I'll just say goodbye to the LED and get a plasma. That's what I've been used to since 2006. Any recommendations on a 37" plasma? Do they come in that size? If not, what's a good one for around $400 for the bedroom?

5. Jun 5, 2013 #5 of 36
    ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Anyone?

6. Jun 5, 2013 #6 of 36
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Most of the Plasma TV appear to be 50" or larger. I did find one that was 42" at Best Buy. It is an LG.

I would get an LED for the bedroom.

7. Jun 5, 2013 #7 of 36
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    As one poster has already stated, "The beauty and quality is in the eye of the one looking at it".
    This is a decision you must make for yourself.

8. Jun 5, 2013 #8 of 36
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Watch for sales...there isnt a lot of focus on tv's that small anymore. Usually starts around 42" size, I put a 45 in my bedroon, but wish I would have put in a 50 or so.

9. Jun 8, 2013 #9 of 36
    ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Just an update; I'm keeping the tv. I've left it on for 5 days for about 16 hours a day. U adjust the settings a little bit more and the thing looks great. I don't see the white spot in the middle anymore. Backlight is set on 10 too.

Paused a tv commercial that had a black frame in it and it looks like the tv is off.

Can anyone explain what happened? Not sure if leaving it on had anything to do with it, but it looks a lot better.

10. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Well maybe I got too excited and jumped the gun. I was watching a movie the other night with many dark scenes, I think it was scream 4, I noticed the white shadow in the middle of the screen although not as bad as it used today I think it had something to do with me adjusting the contrast and backlighting however it's still there.

I already mounted this thing on the wall so I guess it's just something I have to live with and accept this as part of how an LED TV looks.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My mode is set to Dynamic and then I reduced the Backlight to 8 of 10. I believe the mode has to be in Dynamic to use the next settings.

Have you tried in the Dynamic settings to turn Dynamic contrast to ON,
    Turn the Black level to On, etc and see what it looks like.

I have a 46" Samsung LCD and mine are turned ON.

12. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    My mode is set to Dynamic and then I reduced the Backlight to 8 of 10. I believe the mode has to be in Dynamic to use the next settings.

Have you tried in the Dynamic settings to turn Dynamic contrast to ON,
    Turn the Black level to On, etc and see what it looks like.

I have a 46" Samsung LCD and mine are turned ON.

No I haven't tried that. I thought that was a bad setting to use. Maybe I'm just thinking about the plasma I want yo buy for the family room. I remember reading using high contrast and color or any dynamic settings are bad for the plasma, at least for the first few hundred hours.

Anyways, I'll try what you said and see what it looks like. So you think keeping the backlight down but using dynamic will give it a bright screen without the backlight blazing in hopes the white shadow isn't there?

13. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    I have an LED but I do not have that issue. But it is a diffent tv.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got 50" Panny plasmas in two bedrooms. Thinking of buying another Panny plasma and putting the 60" Panny plasma I bought last year in the master bedroom. Thinking about a new 65" Panny. Would you explain again your opinion of the 60" sets vs the 65" sets? My 60" in our main viewing room has a beautiful picture, that's the one I'd put in the MB.

Oh, to get back on topic, the TS would certainly be better off with a plasma, I think. Altho, there is that break in period...

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I do know if you buy a 1080p Panny plasma there is a break in period, that's probably what you're seeing on the Samsung LCD.

Rich

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Rich, personally I feel that anything over 60" doesnt have as crisp a picture due to the tv still being the same resolution. Obviously since its the same resolution, my bedroom tv which is smaller but still 1080p actually has a crisper picture than my 60 because its the same resolution spread over a smaller surface area. Think of it this way: Take a true 1920x1080 image on your pc, and display it full screen on a 22" monitor with a 1920x1080 screen resolution. Now take that same photo and display it on a 27" or larger monitor that is still 1920x1080 resolution, if everything else is equal, it will look much crisper/sharper on the smaller display size. Part of it has to do with viewing distance as well, what is the difference between sitting 10 feet away from a 42" tv, vs, 16 feet away from a 60" tv? The further you sit away, the tvs seem similar in size. You just paid alot more for the ability to it further away from your larger tv. When 4K tv's hit mainstream, I will be all over larger size displays, due to the increased resolution. But again, I'd bet a 60" 4K tv will looks much sharper than a 100" tv when that happens.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got a 50" 1080p set in my bedroom and a 60" 1080p set in our main viewing room. Both are about the same distance from my head. Since you first posted about this, I've been studying both of them, usually with the same program on at different times. Baseball games and movies, stuff like that. I have plenty of room to move backwards in the viewing room and I know the 60" set will look about the same if I put it in the MB.

Thing is, the 60" set looks slightly better than the 50" set in the MB. Not much, both have outstanding PQ. But, if I had to get rid of all my TVs except for one, I'd definitely keep the 60" set. I guess the only way to satisfy my curiosity is to buy a 65" Panny and see what happens.

Concerning the 4K sets: Back in '06 or '07 I bought a 58" 720p Panny plasma for ~ $2500. It still has a fine picture and my son uses it now. But every time I look at it, I have to wonder what was going thru my mind when I paid that much for a 720p set. Of course, a 1080p set of the same size at that time would have cost a lot more, but after I started buying the 1080p sets I have now I realized I should have waited. One thing I vowed never to do again was spend that much on a TV set. Can't help but wonder how long it will take for the 4K sets to start dropping drastically in price. Probably right after I buy the 65" Panny. My luck.

Rich

18. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I do know if you buy a 1080p Panny plasma there is a break in period, that's probably what you're seeing on the Samsung LCD.

Rich

So are you saying there is a break in period on this Samsung 37 inch LED?

19. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Here is a picture. Keep in mind, I have the backlight turned down and the brightness down too. Kind of hard to see but it's thee over to the left side. If u turn up the backlight it gets real noticeable.

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1371161200.400491.jpg

20. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Come on anybody?