1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some info on 622

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Dmitriy, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 24, 2002
    Hello guys, I don't know if anyone still remembers me, but I've been with this forum since the very beginning. I have been working non stop for last two-three years and never had time to visit this awesome forum. The time finally came to upgrade to HDTV and I decided to throw out my old school 7100 dishplayer. I was thinking of getting the 622 or just switching to Direct Tv. Someone please briefly fill me in on pro and cons of 622 and it's alternative (in any) in Direct Tv.

Please forgive me for posting a repetitive question (probably this was answered a million times already), but I honestly do not have any time to do a research.

Thanks in advance,
    Dmitriy

2. elbodude

elbodude Legend

Jul 13, 2006

If you like HDTV, don't switch to Directv.

3. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    At this very moment there are 2 very strong reasons to stay with DISH.

1) They have a lot more HD content than Direct TV at the moment
    2) They have a Dual Tuner HD DVR on the market today, Direct TV is getting ready to ship theirs however.

Really you need to read though the forums, especially looking for threads comparing the 2 services. I know there have been a couple threads of late in the Dish HD forum from users switching from Direct TV to DISH. Maybe they would help you. Also, I'm going to move this thread to the HD forum since it's not a ViP622 support issue.

Thanks and welcome back.

4. nabuch

nabuch Cool Member

Aug 24, 2006
    For the love of God, do not go to DTV. I just switched from them, and besides the high amount of HD content, DISH carries more SD channels as well. The HR10-250 is all you could get now, and it was obsolete when it first came out. If you think the 622 has HDMI problems, the HD TIVO is far worse, and with a whole slew of problems you don't even want to know about, like stuttering. It will be the end of the year, at the very least( and with D's record, a whole lot longer), before you will be able to switch to an Mpeg4 receiver and dish. That long or longer before they add any more HD channels. Also, if you go with them now, then when you switch to Mpeg 4, you will have to pay again, no free upgrades, and I was with them from the beginning, some 12-13 years. Take it from someone who knows, DISH is the only way to go, and doing it now could cost you nothing, with all the incentives to go HD.

5. Steve H

Steve H Icon

May 15, 2006
    When the 622 is working it works VERY WELL. It has had some quirks but it looks like Dish is slowly getting them fixed. I went to the 622 back in April, at first I thought it was a big mistake, now I still have a few odd problems but I have had many phone calls with the QA people and have seen some improvements. If I were you I would go to the 622.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.