1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Some Upgrade Advice ...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by speedmaster, Jan 18, 2011.

1. speedmaster

speedmaster Mentor

Nov 28, 2006
    We're longtime DishNetwork customers and are pretty happy with it. Getting ready to buy our first HDTV and upgrade or service. We may at the same time switch from DishNetwork to TimeWarner. TWC has a decent promotion going on now, $33 each for RoadRunner, HDTV, and Phone.

I have a bunch of questions. :)

Any chance I can get any concessions from DishNetwork if I tell them I may leave?

Since we'll only have one actual HD television, will we still be able to watch non-HD channels on the other TVs in our house?

Do the DishNetwork HD DVRs have that Sling capability built-in? That seems pretty slick.

Anything else woth noting?

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

2. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Great questions, happy to help you with that.

Since you're a longtime customer, I can definitely see what's available. For most of our customers, we do have a few different options available for upgrading equipment to HD. The HD Duo receivers output HD to the main TV and SD to the second TV. The selection of options that are available to you is dependent upon your account. As for the Slingbox, you can get a 922 receiver, which has more hard drive space and a different interface. This equipment comes with an additional $4 on the DVR Service Fee because it provides you with more integrated features for at least $200. Another option would be a 722/722k receiver with a Sling Adapter ($99). Although it has less recording space and slightly fewer features, it wouldn't include the additional $4 monthly charge, or an upgrade fee for the 922.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You need to evaluate three things.

The first is cost. The TWC promo sounds good but what channels and equipment do you get for the $33 tv service? Will that give you the channels you want? Does that give you the equipment you want? Could you save more on phone service going another way? What would be the extra cost for internet service outside the package. And what is the non-promo regular price, when does it kick in, how long are you committing to pay the regular price. How would that compare with Dish which plans a rate increase February 1, but has committed to no package increases thereafter for two years (see the thread Dish Network Price Increase and 2 Year Freeze.

Then there's equipment. With Dish you should be able to get a ViP722DVR (k) or no (k) at no additional charge which will serve both an HD TV (TV1) and SD TV's (TV2). If you get off-the-air (OTA), you could ask for a 722k and pay for the module that would allow you to record 2 satellite and 2 OTA HD signals while simultaneously watching recorded programming. I'm sure TWC has adequate equipment, but....

Finally, the Sling capability is slick. But we still don't have a way to watch the streaming content on a second TV except to hook a computer to it - the sling receiver box is "coming soon". I hooked up a Slingbox PRO-HD to my 722 before Dish finally released the 922 and then the Sling Adapter. On the receiving end, I've eliminated all our TV's other than the one in our "home theater." We watch streaming programming in other rooms on computers and iPads (we're old and don't use smart phones), but you can only connect one receiving device to the stream at a time.

Today as a committed long term Dish customer I'd probably get the adapter because it accesses a second HD stream (displacing TV2 out) on the 722. But you can buy a Slingbox PRO-HD today at Amazon for $261.95 which you can hook up to your TWC box assuming it has component out.

Since you're already a Dish customer, assuming you already have a DVR you aren't going to experience a price increase because of the change. Ignoring the whole Sling thing, you just have to decide if there is a real advantage to TWC for you. And I have a hunch that just boils down to the temporary promo pricing which may not be such a great thing in the long term IMHO.

4. speedmaster

speedmaster Mentor

Nov 28, 2006
    phrelin, thanks for the great response!! :)

A couple more questions, I'm leaning towards staying with Dish.

1. Which HD DVR reciever would you reocmmend I get? We would have one HD TV, and a couple non-HD TVs in the house.

2. I thought at least one of the HD DVRs had the Sling capability built-in?

3. With the Sling functionality I can stream TV to a PC, iPad, or iPod Touch?

4. Any recommendations for getting Dish to sweeten the deal for me a bit when I call them?

Thanks VERY much again for the help!!

Chris

5. speedmaster

speedmaster Mentor

Nov 28, 2006
    Thanks, Tommy! I'll check them out! :)

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My initial reaction is a 722/722k assuming you feed the non-HD TV's through a coax system.

The 922 has this. But I'd read the threads here before ordering one. The 922 has a new user interface which some like, but there are some problems and changes in how it all works. Also they have had problems with the external hard drive options - I don't know if that has been fixed.

Someone with an iPod Touch would have to comment, but sling works great on a PC and iPad.

Just be courteous. If you think you aren't getting a good response, say "thanks, I'll have to think this over" and call back in a few minutes. This is CSR roulette, a term we use here. And lead with "we've been customers for X years, but have held off upgrading to HD." They do reward long term customers who pay their bills promptly.

Good luck.

7. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I want to help upgrade my brothers to HD!!! they have 2 standard 301 dish receivers but 2 hdtvs!!! how much will it cost for2 hddvrs? they do not have the internet,does dish send you the dvr and let you hook it up yourself,and let them mail back the 301s ?will they need a new dish? they use (2 dishes right now.) how much for hd and dvr service? they have been with dish over 12 years! i want them to get the best possible upgrade offer since they have been such loyal customers! thanks !

8. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Would depend on what they're looking to do. We can most likely lease them through a 24 mo commit which is little to no charge (Depending on the account). Purchased would be more expensive up front but the receivers would be theirs completely.

Since they would be upgrading to HD, an install would be required to get the HD dish hooked up. They could do the install themselves if they know how, however the promotion mentioned above may not be available as it would require a retailer or the purchased portion. The 301's would only need to be returned if they are leased.

They would need a new dish. Depending where they are are it could be a 1000.4 EA or 1000.2 WA dish.

HD is free on the account for locals/premiums. To get actual HD channels it is $10 normally, but we do have a HD Free For Life promotion available. DVR service is $6 for the first DVR receiver on the account, each additional one is $3 more. So example 2 612 (Solo HD DVR) receivers would be an additional $9 per month ($6 for first DVR, then the $3 for the second one)

9. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    I always look at the long term cost on these deals. What is it going to cost after the promotion runs out? I'm always getting these wonderful looking offers in the mail, but these companies do there best to hide your cost after the promo is over. I don't feel it is worth taking advantage of a low promotional rate if I can't afford to keep the service a year later.

10. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    My friend has dish with sd forever. I called in as him this week to upgrade to hd. They wanted to charge him for the upgrade and full price for the programming. So I called back and threatened to leave for directv. I wanted the same deal for new subscribers. Directv actually has a cheaper signup comparing the top 250 plan and my referral discount ($100 each). My friend prefers dish so I just pushed for dish's new subscriber offer on the internet.

I had to get transfered to the "lawyer?" department but I got him a 612 hd dvr and 211 hd box and install, free hd for life, 3 months free hbo& showtime, and 1 year big discount on top 250 all free. They weren't going to give us near this deal until I threatened to leave dish.

They are installing his hd install at this very moment in Idaho and he is pretty happy. His bill goes up $3 per month. Didn't try to get any slingbox stuff.

11. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    Well dish lied big time to my friend. Get it in writing people! The loyalty department promised him an upgrade to hd same as new customers. He was longtime subscriber with no contract and put it in the notes.

Now after install dish refuses to honor any programming upgrades or credits. He's screwed. Should have switched to directv. They have a cheaper plan and deliver what they put in the notes.:mad:

12. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    I am sorry that your friend had problems with his upgrade. If possible, could I get the account information so I can review the account. You say he did not get programming upgrade or credits. Can you please tell me what specifically he did not receive? Thank you!

13. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Also, see if there are any multi year commitments with penalties for canceling service early.