1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need step-by-step alignment procedure for SlimLine installs.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by comtech5, Oct 14, 2009.

1. comtech5

comtech5 Cool Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I just started installing the SlimLine ODU's after a long hiatus. The YouTube and SolidSignal video's are outdated as is the installation manual shipped with the dish. Have not found much doing a search on this forum. Everyone seems to have their own opinion on what the "correct" way to do it is. Can anyone point me to a link or post that has a step-by-step for both the 3LNB and 5LNB versions? Let's assume one has a decent signal meter. Personally, I have a SuperBuddy 29 and am expired SBCA cert.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    How are those videos "outdated"?

3. comtech5

comtech5 Cool Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Trust me, they are outdated (especially the included instruction sheet...what's up with that? DTV can't afford paper? wtf?) All the video's I can find are using the older style SlimLine 5 LNB dishes. The alignment mechanisms (fine adjust) were changed recently and thus the procedural steps are slightly different. The procedural steps also vary slightly depending on whether it is a 3 or 5 LNB. There are also many tips and tricks (some involving tilt) for tweaking that only someone that has installed hundreds of these things are aware of and these tips need to be publicized. I really don't care about the earlier SlimLine versions because those are obsolete and no longer shipping. I suppose the older videos are useful if someone needs to tweak an older dish, but I just throw those in the trash. Someone (directv? solid signal?, anybody?) needs to produce some updated videos that go into much greater detail, as it really is quite complex and requires specialized knowledge (and the ability to combine that knowledge with a decent meter) if you want to be dead on to eliminate call backs.

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    There are videos but they are exclusively for the HSP network.

5. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    Try these.....

https://directv.yeshi.com/index.asp?menuid=1&id=82

See the 2 Slimline video links near the top. These worked for me with an install a few weeks ago, didn't take long at all. I bought an AcuTrac22 Pro MKII and the ASL-1 to help with the install.