1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need thoughts on installation choices...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by degger1, Jul 7, 2012.

1. degger1

degger1 New Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Okay, not an expert here, but confident enough to try some options. May need help with some risk analysis.

Situation: I have had the old DirecTivo for many years (PHILLIPS DSR704). In that time, I have moved three times, and each time I have done my own install for both the dish and receiver and have been happy.

Problem: I want to upgrade to HD (hopefully Hr24), but I have moved to the southern part of the same state and out of the football broadcast zone of my favorite team. So, I either upgrade myself, or start paying for Sunday ticket.

Here are my options:

Mover's advantage
    + Cheapest option at $99 upgrade fee​
    - Lose current local programming and yearly team broadcasts​
    - Must pay $199 for Sunday ticket​

Self Install
    + Can guarantee HR24, and control my own install​
    - $199 for HR24​
    - May have to buy new dish (Current, 3LNB multisat, AU2-F1)​
    - May have to buy other things - Switches? Wires?​
    - Trouble installing? (I don't mind something that might take a lot of time and patience.​

So, Three questions:
    Am I missing anything?
    What is a rough estimate of my non-receiver costs?
    Is the idea of simply doing a full install myself even possible, or have they closed these doors?

2. degger1

degger1 New Member

Jul 7, 2012
    One more negative to mover's advantage: No guarantee of HR24... is this fixable?

3. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I purchased a 3 LNB Slimilne from Amazon and did a self install a while back. It was not hard to align the dish and I don't consider my self to be a handyman of any kind. Several internet sites will lease or sell you a HR24. Just make sure you use one you can trust. Solid Signal is used by many here. With the information available on this site with a little searching you should be fine for a self install, you will just be forfeiting any discounts DirecTv may be willing to give you on equipment they would install.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You realize that you are also talking about an upgrade to HD, right? Add the recurring monthly cost for that.

5. degger1

degger1 New Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Right, but I'd be paying that either way, correct? Doesn't matter who installs, does it?

6. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    i just saw a commercial today where they are throswing sunday ticket in for free with the movers connection

7. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    Correct. 10.00 HD charge no matter how dish is installed. Just a Lil advise, the HD dish is a little bit more tricky to install because your aiming to 3 or 5 satellites. It's possible to use a receiver as the signal meter but it's not ideal. If it was me, I would choose the movers connection and just make sure to talk to the installer when they call the day of your scheduled install and let him know you want a HR24 and if he doesn't have it cancel the appointment. I had a free HDDVR upgrade and when the tech showed up all he had was HR24 and said that's all they carry. (at least in my neck of the woods) Good luck to you with whatever you choose. :)

8. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    I saw the same thing about 4 hours ago too. Another good point for Movers Connection! :lol: