1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to change drive in HR20S to quiter one.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jonquiljo, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonquiljo

jonquiljo New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Hi all, I have just bought a DirectTV HR20-S, and am appalled by the noise that it makes.

Is there any relatively simple way to upgrade it hard drive to a higher end - yet quieter drive. If not, its going to the trash pile as the noise is so loud that it keep me up all night (its in the bedroom).

Please help me out and let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Have you contacted D* regarding this? I don't know what their policy is regarding noise, mine is very quiet. I do know if you crack the case it voids the warrenty, it's an expensive machine to buy outright. A piece of cake to change the drive, all the boot software is store on a chip in the HR20, the new drive will format and boot upon installation.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Welcome to the forum, jonquiljo!

If you look at the front of your DVR, is the blue ring made up of individual LEDs or is it sort of a frosted over single piece of plastic?

The ones with the LEDs are the HR20-700s, they are a little louder than the HR20-100s. All in all neither should be exceedingly loud but I can hear my HR20-700's hard drive in a quiet room.

4. jonquiljo

jonquiljo New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Well, its a HR20-700 and its drive is louder than my computer (Dell Precision 380 Workstation) - so its clearly a cheap one that they use in the device.

I called DTV and they told me the usual - that they don't understand what I am talking about. I'm not concerned with voiding the warranty at all. What I am concerned about is that neither me or my wife cannot sleep in the room (its the bedroom) where the DVR is located.

What kind of drive is inside? Is it just a simple med speed SATA PC drive? If so, how many MB?

I just want to order a good high end Seagate, etc. to replace it as it is driving me nuts. The other possibility is to plug in a USB external drive such as a WD Passport and disable the internal HD of the HR20.

Any ideas, folks?

5. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    I am not sure cheap=noise and expensive=quiet.

I have heard some pretty noisy expensive drives.

How loud is the noise? I am having a hard time wrapping my ears around the noise issue :) For me, with everything in an audio cabinet I hear no noise at all. Are you hearing the drive above the TV or when everything is quiet?

If it is really loud (which may be a precursor to drive failure) then I would insist DirecTv fix it. Perhaps you could have the drive "fail" ? :)

I do understand noises that drive a person nuts. I remember having a computer in my office that was so noisy it drove me batty.

6. jonquiljo

jonquiljo New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    I hear the drive when the TV is off ... but it is this grating noise, like a cheap hard drive. Its like I said, my Dell workstation makes less noise and it has a a hard drive, cooling fans, and 3 external USB drives.

I don't think the unit is failing, I think whoever made it used the cheapest drive available to save on costs.

My wife is insistent that it is unacceptable - and I agree. I am so busy these days that it would be easier to modify the unit on my own time schedule than deal with all the idiots at DTV. So, if its really just open the unit, and remove the old drive and plug in and mount a new one - I'm game.

I'm also wondering if you can just plug in a USB powered external into the USB port in the front - and then deactivate (pull the power internally) to the drive in the unit itself. Now that would be really simple.

7. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    1. sounds like a bad drive.. I can hardly hear mine with my ear against the case..
    2. see #1
    3.yes you could do that..
    4. esata external drives only.. no usb.. and it won't run without an internal (belive the temp sensor in the drive is used for fan)

8. Vor

Vor Mentor

Jul 5, 2007
    But here's the thing, you can't record two MPEG-2 streams and read a third with a "cheap" hard drive. If it's making more noise than an external USB drive, then there's something wrong with it (either the drive itself or the way it's mounted).

9. jonquiljo

jonquiljo New Member

Aug 15, 2007

An HR20-700? Mine is also marked HR20S .... A bad drive, or a run of HR20's with crappy and loud drives?

What kind of drive will replace it? Any SATA PC drive 300mb?

10. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    basicaly.. sata drives 300 and up..

11. jonquiljo

jonquiljo New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    WEll, a cheap hard drive can do all that a good one can do, they just don't take care with noise suppression, etc.

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    As far as I know it is a standard SATA drive used in a PC, but I have heard that there are drives used for DVR duty. If it were me I would put a 750gb drive in it. I would find out if there is any truth regarding the duty cycle.

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I vote a bad drive. I also have an HR20-700 and I can't hear the drive at all unless I lay my head on the thing. But then again noise in general doesn't bother me. Total silence is what bothers me. I have to turn on a fan or some sort of white noise to sleep. So maybe I'm not a good test case. :)

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I agree...the HR20s aren't all that noisy. They're not the best drives in the world, but certainly not crap either. If it's making a lot of noise (you sure its not the fan?) return it. Actually, it doesn't matter...if it's the fan or anything else...if its making that much noise something is wrong...return it.

15. ddeen

ddeen Mentor

Jul 16, 2007
    You do have to understand that you not only will get the noise from the platter spinning all night, but also the read/write heads will be moving all night as well because of the program buffer. So you will need to get a drive that is quiet overall. A trip here might get you going in the right direction. www.storagereview.com

16. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Have D* replace the receiver, as others have suggested. There's something wrong.

I've had two units, neither one of which is at all noisy.

Bill

17. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    Call D* and ask for a new receiver. If "dealing with the idiots at D*" as you say is to difficult, there are other options available to you. Cable, E* FIOS (if available) etc.

18. Duffycoug

Duffycoug Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Just curious, do you put the machine in standby and is it noisy then or just when it's on??

19. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you have a -700, then most likely you have a Seagate drive that is made to be quiet.
    Maybe it's the fan.
    As others have posted, my two -700s aren't that noisy.

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not much changes whether in standby or left on. [just the lights & outputs are turned off].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.