1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to get video off dead R15

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BoJatey, Jun 30, 2011.

1. BoJatey

BoJatey Cool Member

Jun 30, 2011
    My r15 receiver went out and I need to burn some recordings that are left on the hard drive. I took out the hard drive and put it in the new receiver Directv sent and it booted fine and I brought up the recordings list but when I hit play it came back "access card invalid". I'm assuming its because I recorded these with the old card. Someone told me the drives are software coded to match the receiver and I don't need the card to access the list. Thought about external enclosure for the drive to give it power and connection but USB ports aren't active. On the HD receivers there is an ESATA port that would probably work but I have to upgrade to HD to get one. There are multimedia drives for sale that when you hook up to USB the software with it activates the USB ports. So my question is "How can I make the USB ports active?" or "What's the easiest way to access my recordings?"

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Unfortunately, the recordings are tied to the receiver ID #. So, short of getting your old box operationaly, your recordings are lost to the ether.

3. BoJatey

BoJatey Cool Member

Jun 30, 2011
    I would do that but can't find an authorized service center anywhere.

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    That's because there aren't any and chances are your receivers are leased anyways so doing what you're doing is against the ToS. At this point your recordings are gone.

5. BoJatey

BoJatey Cool Member

Jun 30, 2011
    So if I upgrade to HD and put the drive in an external sata to esata enclosure and run it through the esata port on the HD receiver, it won't read the drive?

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    No you cannot take drives and swap them around receivers. It doesn't work that way with DIRECTV.

7. Jul 1, 2011 #7 of 13
    BoJatey

BoJatey Cool Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Look man, I'm not doing a bunch of illegal stuff here. The receiver is mine bought and paid for along with the hard drive. Yeah, I put it in the new one, which violates TOS but the video is on a hard drive which belongs to me. The multimedia drives they are selling comes with software that activates the usb's on an r15 and if that is illegal they wouldn't be selling them. I'll find a way.

8. Jul 1, 2011 #8 of 13
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    What you don't understand is that you cannot take a recording from one dvr and use another dvr to view it. They have encryption that doesn't allow it. That's why you get those messages. I'm not even talking about the video part, which technically you will never own, because it doesn't matter.

You cannot take recordings from one DVR and use another DVR to view them. DIRECTV doesn't allow it and that's the bottom line so nothing you do is going to work. I'm just telling you how it is but my guess is you'll have to find out the hard way.

9. Jul 1, 2011 #9 of 13
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Unfortunately, you won't find a way. The recordings are encrypted and associated with the specific receiver. There is no way to recover those recordings without getting the original R15 operational. Even the e-sata drives supported by the HD DVRs cannot be moved from one DVR to another. SD or HD, R15, R16, HR20/21/22/23/24, internal or external drive, does not matter. A recording can only be played back on the machine it was originally recorded on.

What type of failure does your original DVR have? Assuming you have owned receivers and are sufficiently skilled in electronic repair, you could move power supply or other component from a working unit to your defective unit to try and repair. That is the only way you will recover the recordings. One other possibility is if the drive itself is the problem, you might be able to clone from the bad drive to a new drive and put that into the original DVR. I'm not recommending any of these actions, only noting they are the only way you have to try and recover the original recordings.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You have only one chance to play your records again - fix the broken DVR.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You're just not getting it. That drive is only readable in the DVR they were recorded on...thats it, end of story. The drive is encrypted, and in the 5 years or more since the D* branded models have come out, noone has reported successfully circumventing it.

12. admdata

admdata Legend

Apr 22, 2011
    I'm sure someone has cracked the Directv encryption, but if they are smart (and they are) no one knows about it. As for the OP as many have said you are SOL, you have to fix your org r-15 to see the recordings, other than that you are screwed!

13. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    How much did you pay for your R15? If you paid $99. you did not buy it, you initiated a lease and the DVR is DirecTV's property.