1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need to replace Denon what do I get?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by SteveHas, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dec 6, 2010 #1 of 93
    SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    I need a 7.1 receiver to replace my lovely Denon which is having issues, and is not HDMI compatible

I am looking for at a Sony STR-DN2010 and a Pioneer VSX-1120

I am leaning towards the Sony as I need to have HDMI pass through.
    I will not, and can not turn my receiver on every time I want to watch TV, or play the PS3, thus the hdmi pass through.
    However I can not find ANY reviews of this particular Sony.
    I've had other Sony units and found them to be a great value for the money spent as far as features and performance go

I can get either unit at my price point which is in the high $400.00
    I also want
    Network ability for home media
    latest surround sound decoders

Any suggestions, or input?

2. Dec 6, 2010 #2 of 93
    lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v667/?mode=model

Another contender here:) I'm a Yamaha bigot myself. Sony makes good consumer grade equipment as does Yamaha though Yamaha to my ear has always had a warmer rounder sound than Sony but I stopped comparing them years ago and buy at the top of the range so my opinions are not based in everyone's reality.

The Pioneer looks awful attractive to me with the 6 HDMI inputs but for me the THX Select2 soundfields would be the deal maker but again that is just me. Ultimately any of them will rumble a sub and shriek out lots of sound through your speakers.

THX Select2 engages the 2 rear surrounds on any 5.1/2.1 processed soundfield. The same can be accomplished by selecting a PL2X extension or DD-EX/DTS-ES matrix extension to 5.1 sound materials. But at least on my RX-V3800 they remain in "matrix" mode even on 7.1 input source until I deselect the extension.

THX does it transparently so I don't have to switch things on and off. Plus it adds some theater like dynamics to the sound without adding rasp or phony reverberations. My RX-Z11 and the RX-V2600 both have the Select2 (the Z box also has Ultra for LARGER rooms (which I need in that area)). Ultimately I prefer the sound manipulations the THX processing adds but this is my tastes.

YMMV

Don "pick one pull the trigger and enjoy" Bolton

3. Dec 6, 2010 #3 of 93
    SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    I've read all this else where here

this unit does not match my criteria
    not a networked unit
    and I am not a Yamaha fan

4. Dec 6, 2010 #4 of 93
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Go to the Crutchfield website. You'll find everything you'll need to know about the Sony STR-DN2010 including photos. If your budget allows it step up to Sony's ES receivers.

5. Dec 6, 2010 #5 of 93
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I've had two Sony Receivers and am currently on my third Pioneer receiver (1020). I'd take Pioneer over Sony any time, especially the 1120 that's a great receiver.

The 1120 does have HDMI passthrough, BTW.

The 1120 was $425 at Amazon last month and is currently $430 at newegg, but they're out of stock and probably won't get any in before that deal goes away.

I'm sure another deal will pop up though.

6. Dec 7, 2010 #6 of 93
    SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    the 1120 DOES have passthrough?!
    I couldn't find that feature listed any where on any web site are you sure?
    If it does that the unit for me

7. Dec 7, 2010 #7 of 93
    SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007

thanks mm
    I had checked Crutchfield previously, but there were no reviews
    I have all the tech specs I need on the Sony
    I just need someone who has it

I have only found one review from 1 buyer at Amazon
    and one other that reads suspiciously like a Sony employee who conunters the 1st reviewer

8. Dec 7, 2010 #8 of 93
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    There is one review by a owner of the Sony STR-DN2010 Receiver on the Receiver Review website.

9. Dec 7, 2010 #9 of 93
    SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007

cool, but what web site?
    there are no reviews for this unit on Crutchfield

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    receiver-reviews.send.us/sony.....when the menu comes up you will see it. Just click on.

11. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Onkyo

12. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007

thats the same review as appears on Amazon
    it also shows up on Sony's web site as well

13. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007

what Onkyo?
    which model
    is it networked
    HDMI pass through?

14. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Didn't know that.

15. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    it has 3d pass through which is not the same as HDMI pass through

16. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on the Sony as it the only unit I've found that;
    it has all the features I want
    and
    meets my price target
    I would prefer the Pioneer only based on available reviews, but it doesn't have the much needed HDMI pass through

I will wait for further, (and much valued) input from this forum however

17. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Are you sure? I went to the 1120 thread on avs and searched for "passthrough" and there were several posts that come up with people stating that it had it.

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I actually don't know of any decent receivers that have the HDMI pass through feature you are looking for...actually passing the HDMI signal when unit is off, is not something very many support...you might want to rethink that.

19. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The Yamaha in my sig does pass through when set to stand by when powered off. It's not networked, though, or does HDMI 1.4 (3D).

20. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The newer Denons, if you turn on HDMI CEC, have a setting to specify which HDMI input is the Standby Source. It is supposed to pass the specified input to the TV when the receiver is in standby.

I'd hate to have to get rid of my Denon; I don't know if you feel the same way, but it seems that you may not have to (switch brands anyway)

Look here for more info.

Q. HDMI Control? I can watch TV when the Denon is off? Wow, really??