1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to run this by the experts - 4 TV set-up in garage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by boars314, Jul 12, 2013.

1. boars314

boars314 New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I am eligible for a reciever upgrade through the Protection Plan. I haven't called in yet to confirm but I assume that means I can replace an HDDVR with a Genie and the necessary clients for free? I currently have:

- HR24-200 for main living room (will keep)
    - H24-700 for Guest BR (will keep)
    - HR21-100 for down stairs Theater Room (would replace with Genie)
    - Whole Home setup

If I replace the HR21 with a Genie then I would be at 8 tuners and wouldn't have to worry about any install modifications.

What I'd like to do is have the Genie and 3 clients in my storage room where the splitter and router currently reside. Then I would like to run an HDMI cable from the Genie to the theater audio video receiver (AVR) where the audio and video can be passed through to a secondary AVR that will drive my garage sound system and send video to one TV in the garage. Then, from each of the 3 clients I would run digital coax to the secondary AVR for audio switching and an HDMI run to 3 additional TVs in the garage.

I think that should work fine. My question is on control. I can easily control the AVR with an Iphone app to adjust the volume and switch audio sources. Will I be able to separately assign the 4 RF remotes to the Genie and 3 clients without issue? I suppose I could use an IR repeater if needed. Access from the storage room to the garage is pretty easy.

Just looking for any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.

P.S. Any advice on how to convince the wife that I need this set-up for watching football would be greatly appreciated as well!

2. CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25 Mentor

Nov 4, 2007
    On a long...
    There, fixed your last request for you. :p

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You should be able to control each unit independently via rf. Keep in mind, each client is billed the same as a receiver, so you will be looking at $18/month to have the 3 clients. Not sure if you realize the clients are billed that way.

As to the wife, don't have any suggestions, sorry :shrug: (asking for forgiveness is often easier than asking for permission).

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You might not get the upgrade you are suggesting. Typically a "receiver upgrade" means getting a DVR instead of a receiver. If you are eligible for a Genie upgrade you will see it when you log into the web site, but you typically won't get any free clients as part of the upgrade.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Passing through multiple HDMI switches (whether built-in or standalone) is asking for trouble. You may run into time-outs or handshaking dead ends if any of the displays don't respond (especially if they are turned off).

I recommend against centrally locating STBs. Long HDMI cables are not something most of us can fabricate and they tend to require fairly large holes to feed through. The only practical limitation to coax is the bend radius.

CAT6 suffers none of these limitations so wall plates would probably work but I still recommend against it for remote control reasons.

6. boars314

boars314 New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes, I do realize that each client is $6/month. Kind of sucks. Too bad the Genie doesn't have 5 HDMI out for each of its tuners.

Yes, I have typically gone the "ask for forgiveness" route. It's not always pretty.

7. boars314

boars314 New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    When I login online it says "Congratulations! You qualify for an upgrade to the latest DIRECTV equipment. Click upgrade/add a receiver above" The Genie is listed when I do that but it says that I need to call to order. Guess I need to call to find out.

8. boars314

boars314 New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I hear you on the multiple HDMI switches. I think I could eliminate the second pass through and just run digital coax to the second AVR that would power the garage. The HDMI runs would be less than 25' and Monoprice sells ports savers and other adapters to make life easier.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    So you want to run a hdmi splitter for the genie so it can be in both the home theater room and the garage correct? Will you ever be using the garage and the home theater room at the same time? How about the other two tvs? Will you ever be using them at the same time as the garage ones? And how easy is access from them to the garage?

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The upgrade does not include clients though....

11. boars314

boars314 New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Actually the "splitter" is built into my Onkyo AVR. It has two HDMI out and both can be active at the same time. In fact it will be able to pass it through to the garage even in stand by. The Living Room probably needs to remain as is with an HR24. It will be used at the same time as the garage TVs. The guest BR is rarely used. I have considered moving that box to the storage room as well and then I would need one less client for the garage. I would have to use some kind of wireless HDMI to get the signal back to the guest BR though. Has anyone tried the wireless HDMI units or the HDMI via CAT 5/6?

12. boars314

boars314 New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    It seems like they should include 1 or 2. What do they include with a new install? Maybe I could bring that up as a bargaining chip.

Do you think they would upgrade my H24 to a Genie instead of my HR21? I would be at 9 tuners then but I could disable one and be ok.

13. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    In regards to using the AVR to dual output HDMI typically if one of the TVs is turned off it will still trigger HDCP issues since the receiver gets feed back that a device is connected but not responding properly. The 3 fixes are:1) unplug 2nd HDMI when not in use, 2) always have both TVs on simultaneously, 3) use a separate active HDCP HDMI splitter.
    In regards to HDMI via Cat5/6 I have used/seen them on a few jobs. Typically they work well but have seen a few issues.

14. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    The new Protection Plan upgrade plan includes a Genie and up to 3 clients

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Generally they will offer you a genie system to replace your entire current system. So if you have three rooms then they'd offer you a genies and a couple clients. I don't see why they would allow you to grab another client at the same Tim to though. I you case asking for three more, I'd say its a toss up. I'd definetly try asking.

And yes they'd swap your h24 to a genie instead of the HR21. They would also install a swim16 so that all tuners would work properly. I would not allow them to do it any other way.

16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Will it allow you to have both outputs from the hdmi active at the same time from the same source? If so, I foresee problems to be honest if you run it in that mode. But only one way to know for sure, and that'd be to try it.

One other option you may have and this is assuming you only want all four feeds available in the garage for football season, and only need maybe one for the rest of the year... You could try and buy three owned units of any kind, and then activate and deactivate them only for the time of year you need them.

17. boars314

boars314 New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards just going over 8 tuners and having a swim16 installed for current and future flexibility. I'm also wondering if the c41w's might work well in my set-up, especially for the garage TVs (15 ft away through one wall) and the guest bedroom (same level and 2 walls). Not sure if those will be out by the start of football season though.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Most likely no

19. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Is the overall goal here to have 4 TV's in the garage, but only pay a monthly fee for extra 3 receivers (Genie clients) in order to watch 4 games simultaneously on Sunday Ticket?

Do the TV's for the garage already exist?

If the answers are Yes & No respectively, maybe keeping the H24 (and moving it to the garage) and 3 RVU TV's may make more sense. With RVU capable TV's, you can disconnect those TV's during the off-season, without having to return any equipment (or having to pay an acquisition cost when you want it back at the beginning of next season). You'd end up paying for 4 receivers for 4 months (Sept - Dec), but only for 1 receiver for the remaining 8 months rather than paying for 3 receivers for 12 months. That's $144 vs $216 per year in receiver fees.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Of course the "acquisition" cost of this option would be much more expensive than just getting 3 RVU clients from DirecTV