1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need to verify proper install..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Pipeline Mechanic, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1 of 10
    Pipeline Mechanic

Pipeline Mechanic New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    First of all, this looks like an extremely helpful site and I appreciate your taking the time to read this post.

We live in our custom 5th wheel most of the year due to work and we move about 3 times a year.

Our last move has been to central IL and we just had a tech out for our latest install.

We now have a 18" round dish and a 72.5 dish to get locals, they are routed through a Zinwell WB-68 6x8 multiswitch
    (they replaced my oval with the 18") we are using the HR22 receiver.

I read the PDF on proper wiring of the WB-68 and that is not how it is hooked up.

It shows the 18" on 18v and 13v and the 72.5 on Flexport 1, if I hook it up like this it gets no signal,
    if I hook up the "extra" from the 72.5 to the 18v, 22hz I get signal and can watch local channels.

But no matter what I do after repeatedly running setup I can NOT get any signal on tuner 2.

I have reset, hard booted and checked connections and I think the problem is in the Multiswitch.

Can anyone here please advise?

Thanks again!

2. Nov 9, 2008 #2 of 10
    firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008

Do you have one or two feed from the switch to your receiver??? keep in mind that unless you have a SWM setup ( witch does not sound like you do) standard receivers require one feed while DVR's require two feeds from the switch.

also, i dont think that the WB68 wil work with the 18" round dish.. they only have 2 outputs from the dish while the 18" oval have 4 outputs that the WB68 requires.....

do u still have the 18" oval dish? if so, i would use that as it have the 4 ports....

3. Nov 9, 2008 #3 of 10
    RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    :welcome_s

What are the model numbers for your receivers?

4. Nov 9, 2008 #4 of 10
    Pipeline Mechanic

Nov 9, 2008
    MFG: 100
    Model Number:R22
    Software upgrade yesterday at 2:55am, 0x29b

Thanks for the big welcome!

I have the 2 coax going into the receiver from output 1 and 2 on the multiswitch and connected to the back of the receiver in the same fashion. I only have 1 receiver and it has no signal on tuner 2.

Thanks for the fast responses.

5. Nov 9, 2008 #5 of 10
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Since you're not getting may I suggest picking up a 4by4 switch. Will be dirt cheap on ebay and should resolve any swtich issues.

6. Nov 9, 2008 #6 of 10
    RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    Do you still get signals on tuner 1 if you swap the lines? Line 1 to tuner 2, L2 to T1?

If you still get signal on tuner 1, then we can rule out everything up to the receiver.

Might just have a bad tuner in the DVR.

7. Nov 9, 2008 #7 of 10
    mjtville

mjtville AllStar

Jul 31, 2008
    I second that!
    PS You need the Zinwell for flexport (72.5)

8. Nov 9, 2008 #8 of 10
    Pipeline Mechanic

Nov 9, 2008
    After the third time of swapping the input lines between 1 and 2 it suddenly started working! I done it while looking at the transponder screen FWIW.

Thanks again for the insight!

I can talk anyone through diesel repair and can't figure out a simple sat system!

9. Nov 9, 2008 #9 of 10
    bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    Off thread, but I use a Cummins to transport one of my receivers around. I could have used your help a couple months ago when it took a Cummins shop six hours to figure out I needed a new fuel filter!

10. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    Also, i don't know about what your location is because it says you move around quite a bit, but you might want to check to see if you can now get your locals in HD, as I was in a 72.5 market and recently got rid of that dish because my locals switched to the 99 satellite. It would allow you to switch from the two dishes to a one-dish solution, and would eliminate the need for any multiswitch (if you use less than 4 tuners). Plus, the best part is with the switch to the new equipment, it is an upgrade on D*'s part and they would upgrade your equipment to the new MPEG-4 stuff w/no new programming commitment for free (They're going to have to upgrade you sooner or later when they deactivate the 72.5 satellite).