1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to verify proper install..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Pipeline Mechanic, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1 of 10
    Pipeline Mechanic

Pipeline Mechanic New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    First of all, this looks like an extremely helpful site and I appreciate your taking the time to read this post.

We live in our custom 5th wheel most of the year due to work and we move about 3 times a year.

Our last move has been to central IL and we just had a tech out for our latest install.

We now have a 18" round dish and a 72.5 dish to get locals, they are routed through a Zinwell WB-68 6x8 multiswitch
    (they replaced my oval with the 18") we are using the HR22 receiver.

I read the PDF on proper wiring of the WB-68 and that is not how it is hooked up.

It shows the 18" on 18v and 13v and the 72.5 on Flexport 1, if I hook it up like this it gets no signal,
    if I hook up the "extra" from the 72.5 to the 18v, 22hz I get signal and can watch local channels.

But no matter what I do after repeatedly running setup I can NOT get any signal on tuner 2.

I have reset, hard booted and checked connections and I think the problem is in the Multiswitch.

Can anyone here please advise?

Thanks again!

2. Nov 9, 2008 #2 of 10
    firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008

Do you have one or two feed from the switch to your receiver??? keep in mind that unless you have a SWM setup ( witch does not sound like you do) standard receivers require one feed while DVR's require two feeds from the switch.

also, i dont think that the WB68 wil work with the 18" round dish.. they only have 2 outputs from the dish while the 18" oval have 4 outputs that the WB68 requires.....

do u still have the 18" oval dish? if so, i would use that as it have the 4 ports....

3. Nov 9, 2008 #3 of 10
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    :welcome_s

What are the model numbers for your receivers?

4. Nov 9, 2008 #4 of 10
    Pipeline Mechanic

Nov 9, 2008
    MFG: 100
    Model Number:R22
    Software upgrade yesterday at 2:55am, 0x29b

Thanks for the big welcome!

I have the 2 coax going into the receiver from output 1 and 2 on the multiswitch and connected to the back of the receiver in the same fashion. I only have 1 receiver and it has no signal on tuner 2.

Thanks for the fast responses.

5. Nov 9, 2008 #5 of 10
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Since you're not getting may I suggest picking up a 4by4 switch. Will be dirt cheap on ebay and should resolve any swtich issues.

6. Nov 9, 2008 #6 of 10
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Do you still get signals on tuner 1 if you swap the lines? Line 1 to tuner 2, L2 to T1?

If you still get signal on tuner 1, then we can rule out everything up to the receiver.

Might just have a bad tuner in the DVR.

7. Nov 9, 2008 #7 of 10
    mjtville

mjtville AllStar

Jul 31, 2008
    I second that!
    PS You need the Zinwell for flexport (72.5)

8. Nov 9, 2008 #8 of 10
    Pipeline Mechanic

Nov 9, 2008
    After the third time of swapping the input lines between 1 and 2 it suddenly started working! I done it while looking at the transponder screen FWIW.

Thanks again for the insight!

I can talk anyone through diesel repair and can't figure out a simple sat system!

9. Nov 9, 2008 #9 of 10
    bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    Off thread, but I use a Cummins to transport one of my receivers around. I could have used your help a couple months ago when it took a Cummins shop six hours to figure out I needed a new fuel filter!

10. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    Also, i don't know about what your location is because it says you move around quite a bit, but you might want to check to see if you can now get your locals in HD, as I was in a 72.5 market and recently got rid of that dish because my locals switched to the 99 satellite. It would allow you to switch from the two dishes to a one-dish solution, and would eliminate the need for any multiswitch (if you use less than 4 tuners). Plus, the best part is with the switch to the new equipment, it is an upgrade on D*'s part and they would upgrade your equipment to the new MPEG-4 stuff w/no new programming commitment for free (They're going to have to upgrade you sooner or later when they deactivate the 72.5 satellite).