1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Need Two Feeds From Dish to HR20???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 5678YN, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5678YN

5678YN Legend

Jun 29, 2007
    D* is coming Thur to install 5 lnb & HR20 equip upgrade. Am I correct in assuming they will need to run a 2nd feed from the dish to the DVR if I want to record a program at the same time I am watching a different channel??? Don't want to add this second feed if I don't have to.

Thanks

2. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006

Yes, you are correct. They will run the second feed as part of the installation.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    If you would like to record two shows at the same time or record one and watch one you will need to have two lines to the HR20 right now. Later this year Directv will be coming out with a SWM (single wire multi-switch). This will allow you to only have one line connected to the HR20 and be able to use both tuners.

4. eahmjh

eahmjh AllStar

Dec 2, 2006
    That is correct. We have in the bedroom an HR20 with only one cable attached and all works fine. If the need to record something then we must either watch it or set it record at a different time. Have not had the chance to install the WB68 and run the 2nd cable but will have to wait until later this year and way to hot in attic and in Texas the attic is not the place to be during the summer.

P.S. Earl how does one get to be a tester for SWM module?

5. 5678YN

5678YN Legend

Jun 29, 2007
    So than one line is OK if I want to record anything at any time if I am not watching another channel while recording???

6. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes you are able to use the HR20 with only one line. But if you are recording something you will have to watch what is recording.

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    .... or watch a previously recorded show.

8. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Additionally, depending on you location, and the strength of you OTA signals, you can plug a set top antenna into the HR20 and record HD over the air. You would be able to record up to 2 OTA programs at a time or one OTA and one SAT (while watching a 3rd prerecorded program.)

For many people, a simple, unamplified, indoor UHF antenna will pick up lots of stations. Worth a try if you have an old antenna in the closet. Like I said, it all depends on your location.

9. 5678YN

5678YN Legend

Jun 29, 2007
    cygnusloop thank you. Yes I have OTA HD now that is the main reason I haven't gone to the 5 lnb dish sooner. I am about 50 miles from the towers and my naked (no rotor / amp) CM4228 works like a champ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.