1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need universal remote for Dish DVR, PS3, and Samsung LN40B750 HDTV

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Swampthing, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Swampthing

Swampthing Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    As the title states, I recently purchased a new Samsung HDTV and now have a series of remotes to deal with. I have Dish 522 DVR, PS3 for watching Blu-ray, and the new Samsung LN40B750 HDTV. While I was able to get the Dish remote to power on/off and change volume, it can't do much else with the TV and it can't play the PS3 Blu-rays. It also can't handle the Internet TV functions of the Samsung. For reference, here's a link to the Samsung TV. http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN40B750U1FXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Any suggestions on a universal remote that could handle much of these functions?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As PS3 remote control is Bluetooth, I'm afraid you're not going to find anything other than the PS3 remote that will work with the PS3. If there is any chance of finding a suitable universal remote it will almost certainly be a Sony product.

3. Swampthing

Swampthing Legend

Apr 23, 2002
  4. Swampthing

Swampthing Legend

Apr 23, 2002
  5. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Swampthing,

Check out the remote control forum at avsforum. There's a recent thread about the blu-link and many threads about different harmonys and PS3 adapters. The blu-link happens to be the only bluetooth universal in existence, AFAIK.

What's your budget? I'm pretty cheap when it comes to remotes, so if it were me, I'd get a low end or refurb harmony plus a nyko bluwave IR adapter ($15). That will work fine with harmony (and just about any other universal for that matter). The only thing it lacks compared to more expensive options like the one from logitech (or IR2BT or IR4PS3) is remote on/off control.

Tigerdirect has several refurb harmonys. They're all as good a new in my experience. URC also makes some good, inexpensive universals that work with most PS3 adapters.

Call me crazy, but considering my last blu-ray player was $100, it seems ludicrous to me to spend $60-$150 to control a game console that just happens to be able to play blu-ray.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Harmony controls are awesome once you set them up. The one negative is you can only do 5 step macros, but not many need macros. My friend uses the PS3 adapter with his Harmony & loves it.