1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need UPN by Fall

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Antennaguy, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 8, 2004 #1 of 22
    Antennaguy

Antennaguy AllStar

Apr 27, 2004
    I just e-mailed D* recommending that they get some form of UPN programming on by fall. I reminded them that E* offers "superstations" and that the local cable company has a direct network feed of UPN since El Paso has no UPN or WB channel. (Time-Warner carries KTLA for the WB)
    In the past D* has been unwilling to consider this matter, however there have been rumors on this site that some plans are being considered for cities without UPN and WB channels.
    Let's all keep the pressure on this company, maybe they have become more responsive to customer needs with new ownership.

2. Aug 8, 2004 #2 of 22
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    You can always get yourself a single dish receiver with an 18 inch dish aimed at 119 and take just the Superstations, if you want...

3. Aug 8, 2004 #3 of 22
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    No need to get a separate dish to get The Superstations from Dish. If you have the Phase III dish with either a spare output or a spare output on another multiswitch, you can connect a 22kHz signal generator between the dish/multiswitch and a Dish receiver to get the superstations. This works because TP15 on the 119 sat location is used for the supers. The Sat C connection for DirecTV only messes with the even TPs. So, until DirecTV gets their act together I use my 301 receiver for just WB and UPN.

4. Aug 8, 2004 #4 of 22
    brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    So youre saying its possible to get the superstations with Directv.

I have a phase 3 dish. Is there any website that can walk through the process on how to do this.

5. Aug 8, 2004 #5 of 22
    brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Ok I read the post again..
    I think youre saying you still have to subscride to dish network to be able to do this.

6. Aug 8, 2004 #6 of 22
    MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, you add a DISH receiver to the 119 LNBF.

7. Aug 8, 2004 #7 of 22
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That's the purpose of the 22kHz signal generator, to switch the multiswitch to the 119 satellite. And yes, I subscribe to just the Superstations ($5.99 + $5.00 access charge).

8. Aug 8, 2004 #8 of 22
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    DirecTV from day one to today, relative to access to UPN and WB for smaller markets:

DROP DEAD.

9. Aug 8, 2004 #9 of 22
    scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    There are also rumors that they may only have UPN in HD from the Nation UPN HD feed not one of the superstation.

Direct TV can Legally do this under FCC regulations just as they could if they wanted to for Standard Def super station.

There is also rumors of them having a National Feed of UPN just like the cable companies do were there is not OTA station.

Like here in OMaha, Ne you can only get UPN on Cox cable there is no over the air option.

Keep calling them, the new owners are listening more.

10. Antennaguy

Antennaguy AllStar

Apr 27, 2004
    After receiving a reply from D* informing me that they could not provide a UPN channel since there is none in my area (not what I was asking for) and reading the above posts, I set up my old E* receiver and dish and subscribed to WSBK (UPN) and WPIX (WB), for $1.50 per month each plus the $5 basic fee required when no total package is purchased.
    Unfortunately, I am not quite technical enough to follow jdspencer's suggestion of installing a 22khz generator. I did try connecting my D* receiver to one of the un-used ports on the triple lnb dish, switch it to a channel off of the 119 satellite and then connect the E* dish to that port. I thought that maybe that would have switched that port to 119 and it would be available to the E* receiver. It did not work. There is plenty of room in the yard for both dished anyway.
    I do not mind the set-up, but I wonder how many customers D* has lost over the years due to this issue?

11. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    We have a UPN affiliate in our area. Well its a join UPN-WB affiliate. But full-power.

Its a rim-shot. DISH, despite having superstations, placed its LRF to accomodate it. DirecTV, after promising for over a year, did not.

Because DirecTV does not, has not, and will not care one drop about UPN and WB access for its natural rural customer base.

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  13. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Keep calling them.

I talked to a Sr CSR yesterday.

The Missing UPN and WB is now there most requested channel call.

They said there is great confusion now as there web site list WB and UPN Logos for ALL Local markets with you type in the zip code (the small print says in some areas).

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    There's no need for that kind of talk here in the DirecTV side of the forum.
    So please go back to your side unless you have something interesting to add.

15. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    That is one of the thing I miss from Dish was the superstations.

16. dallrh

dallrh New Member

May 26, 2003
    What Type Of Antenna Are Using To Get Local Hd. Live In El Paso Too.

17. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Go to www.antennaweb.org for that info. It depends on how far you are from the towers and what frequencies are being used.

18. Antennaguy

Antennaguy AllStar

Apr 27, 2004
    dallrh,
    I live on the far east side (Montana Vista). I use a 4 bay bow tie antenna that receives UHF only. It is a generic brand that I bought at a hardware store in California, however both Winegard and Channel Master sell similar models on their web sites.
    The antenna is mounted at about 23 feet. Reception is good on all channels except 17 (KVIA) which seems to suffer from interference due to their low power.
    As stated above in this thread, I resorted to the Dishnetwork to get UPN and WB as I am not confident that it will ever be provided by D*, certainly not by fall in time for the new season of Star Trek.

19. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Did you get the Dish receiver working on the DirecTV dish? It's very simple to install the 22kHz tone generator.

20. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Only a Month or so before New Star Treks will be on.

We need a national feed of UPN for the 40% of the country that does not have an over the air option.

WB is missing 20%

Only congress can help us, call or write them now before they vote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.