1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need verification

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Wx-man, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wx-man

Wx-man New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Hello,
    I am a noob to this site, and I have a question that I need verification before I proceed with buying a multiswitch and running new cable, etc.

First off, I have a phase III 3 lnb dish with four lines. Two lines go to a HD Tivo receiver, one line goes to a standard receiver, and the last line goes to another standard receiver. We would like to replace one of the standard receivers with another Tivo receiver, thus need an additional line to take full advantage of the Tivo receiver's capabilities.

For this to work do I need to purchase a 4x multiswitch and run the extra line or is there another method?

If I need to purchase another multiswitch does it matter what type of 4x multiswitch it is or does it have to be an HD type like the Steren Phase III Multiswitch?

Thanks in advance!
    -Steve

2. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Steve,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

If you anticipate upgrading to the MPEG4 HD (with the AT9 dish), I would suggest you get a Zinwell WB68 multi-switch now. That is currently the only 6x8 switch rated to work with the AT9 dish (you do only need to connect 4 inputs to it).

That being said, I have been using a Zinwell SAM 4803 4x8 switch, though I am only feeding my SD with it. If your HD is MPEG2, I don't know if you need a particular type of switch.

I guess my main contribution here (after I get through all my BS) is that if you plan to be ugrading your HD as D* upgrades, it might be best to just start out with the Zinwell WB68.

3. Wx-man

Wx-man New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Thanks for the welcome!!

The HD receiver I currently have setup is the HR10-250 and I am not entirely sure if it is MPEG2 or not. The Tivo receiver I plan on installing is standard. So for me to install the additional non-HD Tivo I can use the Zinwell WB68 switch and it will work for all of the receivers? Thanks!

-Steve

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    The HR10-250 is MPEG2. The Zinwell WB68 switch should work just fine with the HR10-250 (I'm running three of those boxes off the WB68 right now with no problems), and should also work just fine with your SD receivers/DVRs.

5. Wx-man

Wx-man New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Thanks! I appreciate the information. -Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.