1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Your Help Guys Dish Unable to Install My Local Channels Please Help

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by luzernestudent, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Mar 4, 2011 #1 of 11
    luzernestudent

luzernestudent New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Guys I need your help I basically live in the Middle of Nowhere the Pocono's of Pennsylvania, Dish Network said they would be able to give me service through there general satllight however, I would not be able to receive my local channels because they are unable to install there 62.11 Dish (I believe this is the number the installer said) do to the heavily wooded area out to the west of my property. Local and State laws prevent me from even trying to cut these trees down some of them are over 80 feet tall. My main question is would I be able to receive distant networks from NYC without waivers since Dish is unable to install the local channels from Wilkes-Barre PA. I really want there service but I need my ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS. For Pics of property see my last post

2. Mar 4, 2011 #2 of 11
    Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    If it's an option you could try to use an antenna to pick up the channels. Or switch to directv as their satellites are grouped more to the west and closer together than Dish Networks.

3. Mar 5, 2011 #3 of 11
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You would need to get 61.5 to get your Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA locals via DISH. A motivated installer might be able to find a gap between trees with the line of sight needed. For the rest of your channels you would need 72.7. Those two positions (generally south of you) would give you all of your channels.

If there is absolutely no location where 72.7 can be seen you would need to pick up satellites at 119, 110 and 129 ... all off to the west. The DirecTV option is slightly less to the west. With trees you would also need a motivated installer.

Visit http://www.dishpointer.com/ and find your house. There is a tool that is part of their aiming application that allows you to see clearance of an object at a distance.

The aiming of an Eastern Arc dish (designed for 61.5, 72.7 and 77) is approximately.
    Elevation: 40.0°
    Azimuth (true): 159.0°
    Azimuth (magn.): 171.3°
    In your area to could clear a 100ft tree the dish would have to be placed about 120ft away aimed at the "Eastern Arc".

Seeing the western satellites could be more difficult - for the middle location (119):
    Elevation: 25.3°
    Azimuth (true): 235.0°
    Azimuth (magn.): 247.3°
    Clearing a 100ft tree would require the dish to be placed 209ft away.

Even DirecTV would be difficult - their middle location (for HD) 101:
    Elevation: 35.7°
    Azimuth (true): 215.5°
    Azimuth (magn.): 227.8°
    Clearing a 100ft tree would require the dish to be placed 140ft away.

If the dish is not at ground level the math changes. A dish on a 30ft antenna mast could clear a 130ft tree at the distances shown. A motivated local installer would be the best to do a real site survey and figure out a solution for you.

4. Mar 5, 2011 #4 of 11
    BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    If he wants Hi Def. he could forget about the 119 sat. with DirecTv and just get the HiDef locals. That way he would only need the 99, 101 and 103 sats. He would probably have to find a local retailer/installer because most DirecTv installers are required to get all sats,

5. Mar 6, 2011 #5 of 11
    gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    Call Dish and tell them you want them to send out a FSM (Field Service Manager) for a second opinion. If he can't find a place for it to work, then it's not going to work.

6. Mar 6, 2011 #6 of 11
    luzernestudent

Mar 4, 2011
    I called Dish Network on Saturday they are sending out another Installation Team on Monday, I am keeping my fingers cross that this Team will be from Pennsylvaina because this first Team was from NC and they were so unproffesional if I get the same installation team twice I think I am going to kill myself.

7. Mar 8, 2011 #7 of 11
    gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    Here is a tip that unfortunately doesn't work in all areas. Request that Dish send out and Internal Technician, not a sub-contractor. If you make this request they are required to honor it when possible. Unfortunately there are still a lot of areas that aren't covered by DNS offices yet, so you may be stuck with a sub.

I looked online, and there is a DNS office in Pittston Twp, but I have no idea what there territory is.

And for the record, some sub-contractors are great, but some are also horrible. With a DNS tech you'll at least get someone who has been properly trained.

8. Mar 8, 2011 #8 of 11
    luzernestudent

Mar 4, 2011
    They are sending out an Intenal Technician on Friday Here are some pictures of my property see what you think:

Attached Files:

9. Mar 8, 2011 #9 of 11
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Looks like you are "treed in", however there are a few gaps between the trees. Unfortunately there are no leaves at this time of year. The tech may find a spot only to lose that spot come springtime.

I presume that the picture is a southern view. You would need a compass and the satellite coordinates for your location in order to find a gap.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    For a good check on your own, use the advice in James Long's post #3 above. We can't tell from the pictures what is possible, but it looks like from the roof of the house you may be able to clear some of the trees if they are in the right direction, other trees maybe not. And, of course, the trees don't have any leaves plus they will grow.

I'm a Western Arc person in the redwoods. Here's what I contend with and it took a bit on my part to locate the dishes so that higher winds wouldn't blow the trees blocking the signal.

11. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    As others have said, it's kind of impossible to tell for sure from pictures, but being in PA with trees like that the Western Arc can pretty much be ruled out, an Eastern Arc install may still be possible since they are higher in the sky - and your locals are on EA too, so that's good.

With trees that tall you may be forced to do a 2-dish install to get 61.5 and 72.7 (a 2-dish solution is considered a standard install for no additional fee). You would not get 77 this way - but as of right now the only thing on it is local channels - but not the ones in your area so it wouldn't matter. I know a 2-dish install is ugly, but with trees like those sometimes it's the only option.