1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing some kind of a replacement for the TiVo HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by mccoady, May 31, 2017.

1. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    (Edit: How did this post without me adding a Title??? Sorry doesn't seem to be a way to delete and start over.)

My son has an THR22 plus a TiVo HD that just died. He's needing some kind of a replacement for the TiVo HD (pays $13 monthly). Despite being blind he's able to use a TiVo (through trial & error) while not being able to navigate a regular Directv Dvr.

Anyway looking for the least expensive replacement option to be used with Directv. He used his TiVo HD with an OTA antenna so that at least gave him two additional tuners although limited to OTA. Probably the biggest issue with SA Tivo's though is our OTA signal isn't that great so maybe another THR22 might be a better option.

It appears THR22's are no longer available from Directv but Weaknees still has them. I believe when the Directv tech installed our existing THR22 he installed a SMW16. I know I would have to have them install a new one for me. Our Directv system consists of Genie HR44, HR24, THR22, & Genie Mini C51.

Questions:

1. If I purchase a THR22 do I just call Directv and tell them I need a receiver installed? Would this be a $50 charge?

2. We already pay a $5 TiVo charge will it cover any additional TiVo's or is it $5 per TiVo?

2. How is it Weaknees has THR22's and Directv doesn't?

3. What happens when our THR22 hard drives die can we replace them despite not owning them? How is it Weaknees sells THR22 replacement drives and yet a Directv dealer? In my son's situation it's imperative we're able to keep a TiVo or two in service.

4. My son's THR22 actually replaced a SD Direct TiVo that we own. Would this still be an option to put back in our system as a last resort? We initially upgraded to the THR22 thinking we should get on the Directv TiVo HD bandwagon before it was too late.

5. Should I even consider replacing the drive in his TiVo HD for around $150 considering he still pays $13 monthly TiVo fees?

6. Would it help on installation charges if I enrolled in Directv's Protection Plan for a month or two?

Mike

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. Jun 1, 2017 #2 of 15
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    stay away from HR22 or THR22; get HR24 DVR or just H25 receiver

3. Jun 1, 2017 #3 of 15
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    From the TS post:
    My son has an THR22 plus a TiVo HD that just died. He's needing some kind of a replacement for the TiVo HD (pays $13 monthly). Despite being blind he's able to use a TiVo (through trial & error) while not being able to navigate a regular Directv Dvr.

4. Jun 1, 2017 #4 of 15
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    re-reading that ... my thought it was sort of mistyping, but now ...
    I'm not sure if DTV have in mind to design remote and menu for such cases ...

5. Jun 2, 2017 #5 of 15
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What was the tivo hd unit? what model? I wonder if you call directv if you can get a thr22 from them that way. if not solid signal or weeknees. They just have stock left....

Your charges should stay the same i believe, depending on what exact tivo you had. Monthly prices for tivo are by the account I think on the thr22 so may even decrease the cost? Not sure.

6. Jun 2, 2017 #6 of 15
    mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    The Tivo was as far as I know has always been called Tivo HD Series 2 anyhow that's how it was marketed when we bought it new several years ago.

I called directv Retention yesterday and again they stated they no longer had them in stock... Weaknees does have them in stock for $200. I did ask directv if they could credit me some toward the purchase and they wouldn't.

Maybe I've gotten lucky in the past with local Retention/Tech support but yesterday I got directv India support which I hate... I could barely understand what they were saying!

My contract is up in August but she said I could add or upgrade equipment now or wait but there wouldn't be any deals either way. Is this directv's policy now that when your contract is up you don't get any equipment deals... I swear I've gotten them in the past?

7. Jun 2, 2017 #7 of 15
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would try CSR roulette ... and call many times, but do got someone who would help

8. Jun 2, 2017 #8 of 15
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is weird, there was (is) another post here that DIRECTV was still advertising the THR22....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Jun 2, 2017 #9 of 15
    mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Peds I wonder if Directv actually has some in reserve for failing units in the field but CS has been told they don't have any. I've called several times over the last year and have been always told they're not available.

Sure hate to pay full price ($200) for a THR22 at Weaknees but maybe I don't have a choice.

10. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    You can use an eSATA drive with the THR22, but I would have no qualms about replacing the internal drive (and in fact I have already done so in mine). I am astonished that DirecTV claims they don't have THR22s as they continuously send me promotions advertising them.

That's a good question on the $5 TiVo fee. My guess is that it is per-unit.

The SD DirecTiVo is probably not an option. Not only is it incapable of receiving many of the channels and the newer satellites, but depending on how old it is, DirecTV may refuse to activate it.

DirecTV charged me $200 for my THR22, so you may as well buy from Weaknees. I don't think they ever offered them as promotional or discounted receivers. Note that it will still be a leased unit.

11. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    That's good to know about being able to replace the hard drive (one way or another) it makes it more of a long term purchase.

On Weaknees website they state that the $5 TiVo fee is per account not per receiver. Directv CS first said it was per receiver but later said per account so hope the latter is correct.

We paid $100 for our THR22 two years ago so they did give me a deal but guess those days are over.

Probably smart to go ahead and pickup another THR22 before Weaknees supply runs out and they're gone for good.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you could escalate the request to CEO office...

13. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Yeah I think I've done that in the past but don't really remember the procedure. They would probably tell me the same as Retention and since they won't offer any equipment deals for renewing my contract guess doesn't matter who I purchase from.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  14. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    In the General thread for DirecTV there is a upgrade thread where someone asked to add a 2nd DVR to his Genie and was told the upgrade would be a TIVO DVR - so DTV must be pushing them again - not sure what model or ?

15. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    There's only one model - the THR22. DirecTV doesn't like having two Genies on an account (though it can be done), so maybe this is their solution, though it sounds really strange and problematic for the customer who will be getting something with a very different user experience (and loss of features compared to the Genie.)