1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neil Diamond ALERT!

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by mreposter, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    CBS goes for the youth demographic tonight with a primetime Neil Diamond special. Oh, and Liza Minelli stops by the Late Late Show.

18-24's are Twittering like mad!

2. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Neil Diamond??? Who is Neil Diamond?:lol:

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Actually, thanks! For the Neil Diamond special reminder. I didn't have a timer set. In my household the youth demographic is absent, but Neil Diamond fans abound.:icon_da::icon_da: :sure:

4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Of course, it's not on here. 49'ers v Broncos preseason game instead.:icon_cry:

I guess I should have kept my AllAmericaDirect channels.

5. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I had a pass to see him MANY years ago and sat at the mixing console position. The concert took place at the Metropolitan Sports Center in Bloomington, Mn. Timer set.

6. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    He outlived Michael Jackson, and he's neck and neck with Keith Richards.:lol:

7. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Go Ahead, make fun of Neil... he's laughing all the way to the bank!!

Saw him perform live once many years ago at the Fabulous Fox Theater in Atlanta. He put on an amazing concert that kept the audience on it's feet and after he had given us more than our monies worth, he performed the entirety of Jonathan Livingston Seagull for us because "he couldn't pass up the opportunity to make use of the incredible Fox Theater Organ" known as the Might Mo' Pipe Organ.

He has been a musical presence for most of my life.

8. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    He doesn't get enough credit for having written some great songs over the years. The original singer/songwriter.

9. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    That's going to be quite a blow to the likes of Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I can sing (albeit badly) a few Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly songs including some good ones. I can sing at least 20 Niel Diamond songs including some good ones. Of course, I can also sing a bunch of John Denver songs, and a bunch of Barry Manilow songs, and a bunch of.....:sure:

The point being there have been a lot great singer/songwriters, but Diamond is kind of original meaning unique. Lennon/McCartney caliber, maybe not. But unique.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

Neil Diamond .... youth demographic :eek2: :rolleyes:

Sweet Caroline!!!

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I try to be youthful in attitude. Doesn't that count for something?

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    [ hijack]

You clear of the wildfires?

[ /hijack]

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Neil Diamond is to Lennon/McCartney as a road flare is to a nuclear explosion.

Neil certainly has talent and longevity, but please.

15. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    What?!? He's only, like, the ginchiest heartthrob since Fabian! EEEEEEEEEEKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

16. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    +10000 on that one.
    Even the Glimmer Twins are well ahead of him on that front.

I'd say he's on a par with Dolly Parton, but a touch behind Elton John.

17. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Okay, I'll admit it, I watched the concert last night. :)
    Good concert, but his voice is a bit weaker, more gravelly than I remember. And his entire band and all his backup singers looked just as old as he did.

It was an enjoyable hour, even with the synergistic commercials for the DVD/CD boxed set of the concert. He wrote some great songs with compelling lyrics, something sadly lacking in most current music.

18. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    I'm not a big Neil Diamond fan, but I think he's a good vocalist and a very good songwriter.

I've seen him live in concert, however, and can tell you that he is a great entertainer. Watching him on TV is like watching fireworks on TV - entertaining, but nothing like seeing the real thing.

-- Roger