1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

nest thermostat

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by mrski57, Oct 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mrski57

mrski57 Mentor

Dec 16, 2008
    anybody have one? what do you think of it?

2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Is someone trying to sell you one?

3. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Is it even out yet?

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    No.

5. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    It is expensive, but I may get one for my parents for x-mas. The idea that they would be able to easily control it from an iPad sitting in their living room would be great for them.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Interesting idea, but in my house, at least in the summer, things seem to go better if I keep the AC at the same temp all the time. Maybe it's partly no cold air returns upstairs, or lack of wall insulation and bad windows.

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Y'all sleepin' in trees, or what?

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    SayWhat?

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    So it isn't a thermostat for a nest?

10. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I will be getting a couple when they come out. Programmable thermostats are nice, but if your away from your house for the weekend or have a holiday coming up....they are no better then a regular one. I like the fact they have motion sensors, talk with each other, and are controllable via a phone or computer. Seems like they could easily pay for themselves over a year or two.

PS....lock out code for youngsters, finally.

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, I'm all over it as well when released.

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It wouldn't work here (baseboard heat with line-voltage thermostat). At least I found some programmable models at Lowe's.

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Seems interesting, but too expensive for me. I'll stick to my programmable thermostat. The learning function of the nest sounds interesting, but I think it would just end up being more of a pain in the butt. Once I have my thermostat programmed I don't mess with the programing very often.

Mine has a simple home today button, so if there is a weekday where the heat/air conditioning would normally be turned down from 9 to 5 I can just hit the "Home Today" button and it will treat it like a weekend and keep it on all day.

Mine has vacation hold, so I can just set it at a certain temp and it will keep it at that until I turn off the vacation hold. So in the winter if we are leaving for a few days I just turn it down to around 50 when we leave it it will just keep the house at 50 until we get back and then I turn off vacation hold and it goes back to the normal programming. The only problem with that is the house is really cold when we get back and it takes a few hours to warm back up. The ability to go online from a computer or my phone a few hours before we get home to turn it back on would be nice, but I'm not sure it's worth that much.

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^^ Yeah, that's kind like me. I set it and forget it. No daily up and down. I keep it around 60 all season. Heavy blankets and sweats work just fine for me. Hot chocolate, coffee or cider if I need something extra. Propane ain't cheap any more.

It's amazing what a couple of logs in a wood stove can do though to take the edge off. I've got quite a bit of wood here on the property so that's free. Well maybe not free when you consider chain saw gas and labor, but it's cheaper than propane and electricity.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Useless for me. Heat on during the night, A/C during the day for several months a year. Until they make one smart enough to switch itself from heater to A/C, Im sticking with my old programmable.

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I never understood that either. You set a temperature, the 'stat should switch internally to either heat or cool to maintain that temp.

17. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    My systems are run by Amana thermostats that automatically switch back and forth. I have Cool set to 76 and Heat set to 72 and they switch back and forth as needed. Part number 1F95-398 although these are a little over 4 years old.

Edit: Current models.

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you plan on being away for a time, you can certainly set any thermostat (programmable or not) to hold at an arbitrary temperature.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm told that this was a fan speed control issue because the fan is supposed to run faster when the AC is on and how that was achieved varied between manufacturers.