1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix changes pricing structure

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Chris Blount, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Netflix officially separates DVD, streaming pricing; $15.98 and up for both

DVD only or streaming only unlimited plans are available for $7.99 each per month, or $15.98 together. Existing members can float on their current plans until September 1st but new members will see these rates effective immediately. According to a post on the official blog, the change replaces the DVD plan's existence as a $2 surcharge over streaming and from now on it will no longer unlimited discs and streaming as a single package. Two discs at a time will cost $11.99 by themselves now, but there's no mention of higher plans just yet.

Full story

2. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I may go to the streaming only plan. We have a lot of Redboxes nearby including one in the grocery store where we shop often. I just checked out their online reservation system for the first time, and it's pretty cool. The negative is that they don't have nearly the catalog Netflix does.

Currently I have the 1 Blu-ray out at a time plan, so this would save me about $10 per month.

3. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Here is a copy of an e-mail they sent out to me yesterday

Dear Richard,

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $14.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
    Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 2 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $11.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $19.98 a month ($7.99 + $11.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

4. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Harpoon, I got the same email.

The more I think about streaming only, the more I want to do it. And that is exactly what they want us to do.

5. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I was thinking about going to streaming only but I have to keep at least a 1 disc out plan available to me. I like renting Blu-Rays in a lot of cases. I may drop it eventually though because that 30 day wait on some titles is getting rediculous. I end up renting them on Apple TV long before I get them from Netflix.

6. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    No matter how you look at it, it's still a great deal

7. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Hey Chris, how much more is the Blu-Ray plan? Over the DVD plan?

8. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Harpoon,

Here is a portion of the email I received:

"[font="Arial][size="2"]Your current $11.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray access) will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
    Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray), 1 out at-a-time (no streaming)
    for $9.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $17.98 a month ($7.99 + $9.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs."

[/size][/font]*************************
    [font="Arial][size="2"]
    It looks like my increase will be about $6.

I'm currently paying exactly $2 extra per month for Blu-ray. I'm not sure from the email if I would pay $15.98 in September if I canceled Blu-ray.

[/size][/font]

9. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Thanks for the info, it's still a way better deal then what video stores were offering even 20 years ago.

10. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Agreed.

We don't watch even one disc per week here, however. So for us, we can knock off the extra $9.99 from their bill and rent from Redbox when we want to watch one. For the movies we really like, we buy them.

11. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I also buy new releases and TV shows, but I buy them from Amazon VOD. It just makes it easier for me then having all that extra clutter and with me being disabled it makes it harder fumbling around with a huge collection of DVD'S

12. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Thanks for the tip. The next time we want to buy a movie, I'll check out A-VOD! :)

13. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I started with streaming only and have been very pleased. it took a slight change in mindset to get away from physical discs, but the experience has been liberating, and I like the immediacy of instant streaming.

That my $7.99/m plan is not increasing is a bonus. It's the best deal going.

14. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree. I have been streaming a lot lately. My only problem is my darn taste buds for HD. I have large TV's and a projection system and standard def content doesn't cut it. I must admit though, online HD content is getting better every day.

Life was so much simpler with my 27" analog SD TV. :)