1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

netflix getting slower on delivery times . . .

Discussion in 'The OT' started by brant, Mar 28, 2010.

1. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    has anyone else had a problem w/ netflix getting slower on their delivery times?

we normally keep our DVD's for a week; sometimes more. We don't cycle through them fast at all. Over the past three months or so, it seems the delivery schedule is getting longer and longer.

I don't get a confirmation e-mail of them receiving it until 2-3 days of dropping it in the mail; our DVD's are coming from somewhere around atlanta. Its about 3.5 hours away. If I mail a package or letter through postal service to someone in that area, they usually get it the next day.

Its not until the next day after the receipt e-mail that I get an e-mail stating they've shipped the next DVD, and it takes a minimum of two days for it to arrive.

It used to be that my DVD's would be received the next day, and i'd have my next DVD 1-2 days later. Now its a week long process. And we've had to wait up to a week and a half, sometimes two, for certain DVD's because they were unavailable at our nearest distribution center.

Is anyone else having a problem or has the atlanta center just outgrown its capacity?

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Not me. Next day delivery and usually I get both emails on the same day.

3. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    I usually get my emails the day after mail pickup (about noon here) and my center is in Santa Ana, a little over an hour away... So if I drop them in the box Monday morning, I'll have new movies Wednesday afternoon.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    For me it was in increase in response time. My distribution center now ships on Saturday as well as recieves.

5. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    so i guess its just the atlanta center then.

time to e-mail netflix

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Enjoy it while it lasts.

7. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    I dropped a Netflix movie in the mailbox on a Saturday a couple of months ago. Got an email from Netflix the next day (Sunday afternoon) stating that the movie had been received.

8. timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2008
    I dropped Netflix for this very reason. It seems that after a while there is a slowdown in turnaround times. Do a Google search for "Netflix trottling" to see the trend.

9. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    No issues. Dropped a disc in the mail this morning. Tomorrow at 5:30am I'll get a received email, At 4pm I'll get a shipped email. It will be at my door on Wednesday afternoon.

Live in JAX, distribution center is in JAX. We've been getting 2 rotations a week for 6+ months (drop disc on Monday, get on Wed, watch Wed, drop Thurs, get on Saturday - rinse and repeat) :D

10. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Our turn around time is very fast. As fast as it's ever been. My biggest complaint is their lack of Blu-Ray titles. "Very long wait" and "Long wait" is always the case for any big movie released within a month or two. We're suspending our account until Fall. Hopefully the stuff we want to watch will be available by then.

Oh and make sure the bar code shows thru the window on the return envelope. Netflix is notified as soon as the USPS scans it.

11. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Nope... I am served from the Atlanta center. Send Movies in on Monday, get the received emails on Tuesday, get the replacement films on Wednesday. I also send a batch on Friday, they receive Saturday and I get emails and new movies arrive on Monday.

Haven't missed once in forever.

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Here in Austin I get movies from multiple centers, Austin, San Antonio or Houston are the ones that show up the most often, and I get them the next day. A problem I have lately is my queue is all short, long or very long waits, sometimes go a week before I get a new movie. I sure hope I'm not being throttled since it usually takes me a week to view and return a movie to them.

13. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Consistently one day turnaround for me. Never a problem for me.

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Fast turnarounds for me, only complaint is the Very Long & Long waits on far too many titles.

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Thats never been a problem with me since I rejoined Netflix a few years ago. Now Blockbuster Online thats another thing. I had stuff say very long wait for 2+ years and never moved. Most stuff took forever and it took 2 days to get there and 3 to get back. It was horrible.

16. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    my service is very fast and quick. My guess is depends on the warehouse and whose working at them.

Managers systems vary from one to another.

The closest one in philadelphia where I live is in southampton pa. a suburb of philadelphia. They mail netflix movies from that warehouse.

but lately I have been using the instantly on pc and i love the right to the TV movies their gr8.

what you could do is contact netflix find the closest warehouse to you and see whos running it.

17. Juggernaut

Juggernaut AllStar

Apr 5, 2007
    In the past couple years, it has taken more than one day each way, maybe once or twice. They are pretty reliable.

I think they are going to have a problem with this deal they worked out with Warner Brothers. I was at Blockbuster to rent a video game this weekend and they were promoting the heck out of how they have the movies a month early. Signs up everywhere and the clerks were well schooled on it as well, talking it up to all the customers. We'll see how it works out but I think it will hurt Netflix.

18. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    if you change Netflix to Gamefly, then I'm in the same situation...

gamefly (video game renting service akin to netflix) would take at least 4 days to notify me that my game was recieved then usually another 2-3 days to state that a new game had been shipped. Granted they have FAR FEWER distribution centers than netflix...but it was still enough for me to drop them.

Netflix on the other hand has been crazy fast. I mailed a disc on Saturday, received an e-mail today they received it, I'll be getting a new disc tomorrow. That's pretty good. My wife and I are able to watch about 4-5 movies a month (we only have the 1 at a time sub).

Now, if only they'd get more copies of their incredibly popular movies at the moment on blu-ray and I'd be totally happy.

19. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Actually the Netflix operation is extremely regimented. Every warehouse does everything exactly the same way.

There is a great story about this from last summer http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0804-netflixaug04,0,6424990.story

Some highlights:

1. Netflix warehouses & trucks are unmarked.

2. If you work at a Netflix warehouse, you have signed a confidentiality agreement that you will not divulge its location

3. Six nights a week, a truck leaves for the post office and picks up cartons full of the return-address envelopes; pickup is at 3 a.m.

4. The first shift starts at 3AM

5. All workers stop in unison every 65 minutes for Calisthenics

6. Movies depart for the Post Office at 5PM.

It works because it is so regimented.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think Netflix has said this doesn't matter, but when you return a disc, do you put the sleeve in the same way it comes, so that the bar code is visible through the outside of the envelope?

Also, where do you drop them off at? Some people have more problems if they use their work mailroom for example.