1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix Instantly via DirecTV internet connection - does Dish have any such feature?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by janeslogin, Sep 16, 2010.

1. janeslogin

janeslogin Legend

Dec 13, 2006
    It is rumored over at netflixcommunity.ning.com that one may be able to Watch Netflix Instantly via DirecTV internet connection. Have you heard such a rumor? Does Dish have any such feature currently or in the planning?

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    The posting in question:
    This one should be a no-brainer, but I was hoping someone could verify before I proceed...

I'm currently a Netflix subscriber and I'm thinking about getting DirecTV at home. DirecTV does offer a service called TV Internet Connection which supposedly allows the user to browse web pages using their TV. I'm very aware that Netflix offers an Instantly To Your TV service, but I don't currently have the equipment to do that (although I do occasionally use the Watch Instantly feature to see movies on my pc). My question is: if I get DirecTV with the Internet service, will I get access to Netflix "Instantly To Your TV" service or just the "Watch Instantly" service via the internet connection, or is there any difference?I guess my confusion stems from the DirecTV DVR not being listed among Netflix-compatible devices, as well as the two companies currently being rivals.

DirecTV TV Internet Connection has nothing to do with browsing web pages. It is simply giving your DVR access to certain internet based functions of DirecTV itself.

I see no future for Netflix with DirecTV. Netflix competes directly with DirecTV and it would be foolish of DirecTV to facilitate access to netflix streaming service through their hardware.

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Although with the new AppleTV offering Netflix you have to wonder. I mean Netflix is a direct competitor to the ATV also...

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    IMHO, I don't see DirecTV partnering with NetFlix, it would drain $'s from the PPV and premium movie business.

However, when using the MediaShare function on network attached HD receivers, when using PlayOn, http://www.playon.tv/index.php , installed on a PC you can access NetFlix, Hulu, and a bunch of other network content sites. With additional plugin's that folks write there's a bunch of other sites accessable. This is not a supported configuration and sometimes new versions of software on the DirecTV STB or PlayOn break it for awhile it eventually works again. Note, you don't have DVR functions using this, you can only pause.

5. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    I have streaming Netflix using my bluray player and I can tell you the list of movies available to stream today is so limited that it isn't worth the bother.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's your opinion. I have 107 titles in just my Instant Queue.

7. ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    I use Netflix Streaming just about every day. (32 times a month according to http://feedfliks.com ). It is awesome. The selection is very good right now, and is getting better every month.

I have a Netflix client built right into the TV in my bedroom (Sony KDS-32EX308). I've been watching all of the old News Radio episodes, recently.

I also have recently streamed Aliens, Magnum PI, Heist, Planet 51, K-PAX, Lethal Weapon, Memento, Sherlock Holmes (PBS), The Fugitive, Die Hard, The Taking of Pelham 123, The X-Files, Zombieland, Terminator 2, Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein (seriously), The Whole Nine Yards, 30 Rock, The A-Team, Knight Rider, etc...

I don't see why DirecTV would include this service, though. It competes with them.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    You need to buy a SHARP WiFi HD set to be able to do that. QVC has them. That's my next TV in five to six years.

9. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Netflix streaming now offers about 45% of 2010 box office releases. I doubt HBO offers that. It's a clear threat to PayTV, as a non-sports fan PayTV gets a MUCH better value. If they were smart, the MSOs and DBS co's would remove ESPN and all sports programming from their popular tiers, and isolate them in a sports package.

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    You've got to be kidding. :)

Lots of current and recent selections available.

I can view them either via Xbox360, PS3, Wii, or a PC. The images are DVD or better quality with my good www connection. (Fios.)

11. ans2004

ans2004 Mentor

Oct 27, 2008
    You can purchase software called playon online and when you load this up in your computer it allows you to play your netflix instant and youtube as long as your hd dvr is connected to the internet using the same network as your computer. When i bought the software it was $40. nETFLIX WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR MENU ON HDDVR

12. ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    And now a box that does that same thing, but in HD, is $69. :)
    http://www.roku.com/roku-products#2

13. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    The iTunes store and Netflix use different models. iTunes is more about picking up that show you missed last night for a cheap price, and you pay per epsiode.

Netflix is subscription based, so one low fee for all of your streaming (and blu-ray or dvd discs by mail) needs.

Even directv's cinema on demand isn't a direct competitor to Netflix, it's a slightly different model, rental vs. subscription.

But will we see Netflix natively on a DirecTV box? probably not. All though I'd love it!

14. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    :confused:
    What is this in response to? You don't need a Sharp TV to watch Netflix Live.

15. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    You don't need a Sharp TV, but you need a Roku, Xbox, or a TV that is equipped with the Netflix software.

Within three years, I'd bet that 80% of TVs sold will connect to the Web, and Netflix will be one of many built-in options.

16. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    How are people mainly connecting to Netflix?

17. swallman

swallman AllStar

Nov 18, 2004
    I just got Samsung HDTV and also a Samsung Blu-Ray player. Both of them can connect to the Internet and stream from Netflix (along with a bunch of other stuff). Can't see even subbing to any of the premiums any longer.

18. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Im on the verge of getting rid of premiums also

19. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Netflix has 15M subscribers, projected to grow to 19M by the end of the year. About 60% of Netflix subscribers use the streaming component of their package.

20. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    My Xbox 360 and my Wii.