1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix-like SVC thru DTV; Feasible?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by NinerK, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 1, 2007 #1 of 53
    NinerK

NinerK Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Disclaimer=I'm not a "tech guy".

I was going through my NetFlix que today and had what I thought was a cool idea. Not sure about the issues with implimentation but could DTV have a service similar to NetFlix with the new DOD?

Or even PPV?

As in, pay an extra $9.99 and get unlimited or say 4 PPV's per month. I guess to have a NetFlix type of catalog would require too much bandwidth, but as far as new releases, or the last 12 months of releases I think this idea might have some appeal.

I'd pay $10 more per month for 4-6 PPV's per month. We rarely order PPV but would probably sign up for this. It would be more convenient to select the PPV than to wait for the NetFlix mail.

Is this just a hair-brained idea?

If you think it's a decent idea, is it remotely feasible from DTV's viewpoint?

2. Nov 1, 2007 #2 of 53
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The number of things in the library has nothing to do with bandwidth but storage space. It is possible to do what you are talking about. The harder part to manage would be the very large menu you would get looking for movies.

3. Nov 1, 2007 #3 of 53
    ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    I like the idea. I cancelled Netflix a long time ago, mainly because I don't have that much free time to watch movies. So lately I have been watching movies on PPV which I find much more convenient.

4. Nov 1, 2007 #4 of 53
    NinerK

NinerK Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    I agree completely. It's much more convenient. The only thing for us is watching 3 PPV=$12. We don't watch a lot of movies, probably about 3-5 per month. NetFlix is $9.99 for 1 at a time unlimited.

So although it is more convenient to watch PPV, it is more expensive. If the price of PPV were to come down or they had a monthly fee for 3-5 PPV's we'd drop Netflix.

5. Nov 1, 2007 #5 of 53
    NinerK

NinerK Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    I just realized the way I'm framing it makes it sound like I'm trying to save only a couple of dollars. :lol:

6. Nov 1, 2007 #6 of 53
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    NinerK,

That is actually an excellent, awesome idea. Who knows what price points make sense, but saving a few bucks for you (and 16M other DIRECTV customers) and opening up the packaging could be a big money maker. So often a solution that is easier than another and/or just a few bucks different in price can be huge.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. Nov 1, 2007 #7 of 53
    NinerK

NinerK Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Thanks, I'm sure there are many like me who would actually watch MORE content if there was this type of service. How do we go about requesting this type of service or even just sending the customer feedback?

Another huge point I think (well, at least for my household) is the fact that we don't have enough time to actually utilize NetFlix's HUGE catalog. We end up mostly watching new releases only or movies released in the last 12-18 months. We're just too busy.

Also, another thing I just thought of:

They could actually set it up with different tiers like NetFlix. You know 1 movie, 2 movies, or 3 movies "on your DVR" at a time. Or something like that. All I know is that I would sign up for something like this in a heartbeat.

8. Nov 2, 2007 #8 of 53
    Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Online scheduling would make this pretty cool. You could set up your queue, just like Netflix. And then they could push you your next couple movies over the sat in HD to the "reserved" portion of the hard drive so they are ready to go when you want them, saving internet bandwidth. True on demand over the net could supplement for "impulse" viewing.

Great idea, NinerK. Sorry your Niners are so bad this year. :)

9. Nov 2, 2007 #9 of 53
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    The Blockbuster deal of 3 at a time and swap at the store gives you a huge volume of DVDs for a low price. I'd do an "all you can eat" PPV movies in the $20-$30 range. Problem for D* is that they'd lose subs to HBO, SHO, etc...

10. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I think it is a good idea, however, I see a couple of major drawbacks.

1) Download time. I have a relatively fast DSL connection and it takes a long time to download a full movie via DOD. HD Movies would take even longer.

2) DOD content is only viewable on one DVR. Unless they implement MRV, it might be a negative factor.

11. NinerK

NinerK Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Very good point about HBO, SHO. Although, they seem to be coming up with more original content to draw viewers in. And they rarely have new releases.

12. dvrblogger

dvrblogger Icon

Jan 11, 2005
    I think what is missing is a netflix like interface (on the web). DIRECTV Probably broadcasts 5000 movies across all the different channels there is just no easy way to find and record this stuff. Offering the right interface and throw in a few new PPVs everymonth would satisfy most people netflix/dvd craving.

13. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have been thinking about this since I got DoD.

If they were able to do something like this I would drop Netflix the day it launched.

Nothing wrong with Netflix at all. I think they are a great company and have been a member for a lot of years now. But I just think this would be a great idea.

14. wallyjar

wallyjar AllStar

Aug 11, 2006
    I have Netflix and am thinking of playing with the view on PC option they have. With subscription you can watch a specific number of hours of shows/movies on your PC. I have not tried it yet but am going to attempt to watch through my media share with my HR20.

Has anyone tried this?

15. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes and it works ok. But the problem with it is all the movies are very old and it is not a lot of them to pick from.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I like this idea a lot.

17. SteveInNC

SteveInNC AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    The problem here is that DTV is not trying to make things convenient for us, they're trying to make money. I suspect that the numbers just don't work. Offering such a package may bring in some additional people who don't normally buy PPV (like me), but would cut the market for people who often buy PPV (more than say three times a month) or the new DOD. This is viable for Netflix because it's their only distribution model. DTV would be cannibalizing their existing market. As someone else pointed out, it would also probably kill a large portion of their premium channels subscriptions, which are likely high-profit-margin for DTV. For the same cost of two premium channels, you can get the movies that you want to watch, rather than the eighty-third rerun of Deuce Bigelow on TMC.

18. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm surprised that D* doesn't market their PPV movies better. With the exception of the "last chance" offers which are usually only available on 1 or 2 movies a month, I never seen any coupons or discount rates for PPV movies. Maybe they should have something like "2 for Tuesdays" - get 2 PPVs for the price of 1. But who knows, maybe they are selling a lot of movies as it stands now.

19. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    +1

and even if it did have a long download time... so what... it's a lot quicker than snail mail bringing you a dvd... start the download... go make some popcorn... grab a couple beers... and come back and start watching... you probably wouldn't catch up to the end of the buffer anyway...

or better yet... start the download friday morning before work... then you've got a movie waiting on you when you get home...

20. bnglbill

bnglbill Icon

Nov 29, 2006
    Wow, Sign me up! That would be awesome wouldn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.