1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Netflix report suggests Comcast and Verizon FiOS speeds are slipping

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Athlon646464, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Netflix report suggests Comcast and Verizon FiOS speeds are slipping

Netflix's latest ISP speed report is out and compared to what we've seen before, there are a few surprises. Comcast and Verizon FiOS have dropped quite a bit in the last four months, while Google Fiber is once again at the top of the heap. Neither Comcast nor Verizon have slumped to DSL speeds, but given Comcast's history with net neutrality and Big Red's stake in Redbox, some might call their decreased data rates into question....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I'm trying to find an article I read last week where a guy proved that Comcast was throttling his Netflix streaming. His solution was to use VPN which evidently blocks Comcast from identifying Netflix as the streaming agent.

3. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    What would comcast gain by blocking netflix?

4. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Netflix is a competitor.....

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Mindshare and an enormous amount of subscription TV revenues; specifically those coming from premium movie plexes. Comcast appears to be asking $23.95 for one movie plex per month (the price goes down with additional plexes).

Any time customers (or potential customers) find ways around subscribing to Comcast's TV offerings, Comcast loses.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if net neutrality goes away, ISPs such as Comcast could ask us (customers) or DirecTV for more money to stream DirecTV content

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Also, if Comcast knows people are using streaming more, they can then up the price for 'full bandwidth' or other nonsense. They already cap most accounts at 25 gb per month.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  9. kevin d

kevin d Mentor

Sep 20, 2005
    Certain states/markets are being capped. I've gotten a call for the past two months stating I was close to hitting the cap.

Kevin D.