1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix streaming: system requirements

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by armophob, Jul 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    So just to start,
    If I want to become a Netflix subscriber with an Xbox360 and Samsung Smartv with Netfix capable access, I need what for speed on the internet?
    If I get spotty 2mb on a 3mb AT&T DSL service, am I going to get 1080i movies without buffering interrupts?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Most likely. I had that same AT&T 'service' and a Roku. It was always buffering. Gave up and let my daughter take the Roku to college for Netflix.

Finally upgraded in April to Comcast 20mb down 5mb up and it works without any problems.

You can sign up with Netflix for a free 30 day trial to give it a try.

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    When I had 3Mb DSL from Frontier it was very solid and the HD streaming worked fine almost all the time. But I think 3Mb is just about the lower limit for HD streams.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're correct, that is the lower limit. There are three levels, the highest level gives you "Super HD" and the PQ is much better than D*'s 1080i PQ.

Rich

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Rumor over at Hacking Netflix has it that the bandwidth requirements can be up to 5.11Mbps (2.3GB/hr) if I did the math right.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Whether your math is correct or not, I have no problems streaming NF content at the highest level. No buffering problems ever. My downspeed is ~ 60Mbs.

Rich

7. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    If you have the super hd available from your Internet provider minimum speed for 1080p super hd is 5-7

8. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Sounds like I would be better of getting the discs in the mail. They send blu-ray's?

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, but you have to sign up for them. I think it's a buck more a month. Not sure how it works without streaming included. Their BDs leave something to be desired, not as good as the BDs you buy in a store. Many features lacking.

Rich

10. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    But the video is still as high? And the sound? I really never mess around with features.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, the sound is still usually 5.1 and the PQ is usually good. The only real problems with the disks are the condition they arrive in. I have received broken disks, disks with crap on them and disks that just won't play on any of my multitude (easier than counting them) of BD players. When that happens, I call them and always get an extra disk. Really can't say anything bad about NF.

Rich

12. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Finnally pulled the trigger and started ordering the Blu-rays.
    It has been 6 days now and my first one says it will arrive on Monday.
    I sure hope this is not the normal wait time.

13. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    :thats:

Welcome to the present the past. :D

14. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    You try surviving on 3.0 DSL :)

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I usually get mine in a couple days. No long waits. Probably depends on where you live.

Rich

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I live in the stix, and get mine within a few days. I also can stream a decent picture to my 32" TV, with a fairly steady 2.8 Megs connection. (I wouldn't even try it on my large screen.)

Try it; no one can tell you for sure what you'll get.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    BTW, Ripley's Believe It or Not strip the other day had the arrows pointing the way West in it. They seemed to believe it.

Rich