1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Netflix testing Ultra High Definition video ready for launch next year

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Athlon646464, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Netflix testing Ultra High Definition video ready for launch next year

If you bought a 4K TV, you probably spend your evenings waiting for the moment when all content is available at such eye-watering resolution. Fortunately for you, Netflix has quietly added test clips that promise to push 4K video at 24 frames per second onto your fancy new gear.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Engadget

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Oh boy! Though I'd be happy if half the stuff I want to watch is 4K.... those who hold out for everything in 4k will be a molderin' in the grave before that happens. Some channels don't even broadcast in HD, and some retransmitters don't carry some that do....

3. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    I'd be happier if they would work on delivery HD audio with their HD streams.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    They are dumping 3D, right? Because they got that working so well, along with Super HD.

If they couldn't get providers to agree to Open Connect for those things, they gonna get support for 4K?

5. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    Or clear icons or indications in the GUI when we're playing a stream that shows the bitrate, resolution and number of audio channels. An icon that lights up "HD" doesn't help much.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Sorry, but I see nothing in the linked article that refers to 4k or to so-called "test clips".

7. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Not home where I can verify this, but in the past you will get several results when doing a search for 'example' in the Netflix search section of your device.

It will yield a number of test videos, some of which will show you detailed stats about your connection, including bit rate, pixels etc.

The article doesn't say that, but my guess is that is what they are referring to. The article points to links that promise that info as well.

8. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    Search for "El Fuente"