1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Netflix

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by SD493, Mar 15, 2009.

1. SD493

SD493 Legend

Mar 10, 2003
    The content available on DOD at this time is a little underwhelming. I know it's just getting started and, hopefully, additonal content providers will be added. What are the chances that D* will partner with Netflix to offer their downloadable content to Netflix subscribers via DOD?

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
  3. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Agree, but the experience might not be optimal. E.g., PlayOn PQ may be inferior to DOD, and unlike with other DOD titles, there's no trickplay available... except pause. /steve

4. SD493

SD493 Legend

Mar 10, 2003
    Thanks. I downloaded the PlayOn software and installed it. I checked my HR20 menu and it was there. I watched a movie from Netflix. Worked great. The very limited functionality of the software is a drawback, but, overall, it's cool.

5. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Glad it worked for you. Yea, it's not as good as a built in client but it's good enough for me. :)

6. SD493

SD493 Legend

Mar 10, 2003
    I think I'm going to order a Roku. The Playon software is $40 and the Roku is $99. With the Roku I'm able to rewind, skip forward, etc. as well as have access to HD content.

7. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Sounds good. PlayOn rocks for us since it's available at every TV in the house since I have everything networked. I'm not buying a Roku box for every TV. ;) Plus PlayOn does a lot more then Netflix. We actually use it mostly for Hulu and CBS. I've only used it for Netflix once and that was only because finally a movie I would actually want to watch was available for streaming and I wanted to test it. Their stream selection sucks right now (for us anyway).

8. crasmus22

crasmus22 Mentor

Jan 12, 2009
    The Roku is great. But be aware that the rewind, skip, forward, etc. is not like a DVR. You will have to rebuffer the stream each time. The Roku now has Amazon VOD and reportedly is to have 10 other channels by the end of year.

9. SD493

SD493 Legend

Mar 10, 2003

Good to hear. I knew the Roku and streaming video wouldn't be just like a DVR. The biggest reason for the Roku was for Netflix instant plays. I've watched a few on my computer but miss seeing them on the plasma. My Roku should arrive Thursday. I'm looking forward to a new toy. (I guess this is a little off topic for D* VOD discussion).