1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lgb0250, Nov 30, 2010.

1. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Since I'm technology challenged could somebody please tell me if we would be able to stream Netflix movies to an HR23 with their new streaming service. Thanks in advance.

2. Crow159

Crow159 Member

May 23, 2007
    Not now, probably never.

Netflix is a competitor to Directv's PPV offerings. I doubt Directv will ever allow Netflix or any other streaming service to compete with Directv Cinema.

3. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    You can try using Playon software running on a computer networked to the hr.I have done it with not so perfect results now i have three roku boxes that work perfect.

4. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Why would DTV help you stream Netflix? They are charging $13 a month for Starz alone, and Netflix includes Starz, and unlimited movie streaming for only 7.99. Another $2 gets you about 5 DVDs mailed to you every month.

You can get Roku for $40 or a blu-ray DVD player that streams Netflix for around $100.

http://www.roku.com/netflix-deal

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Exactly, I recently bought the Western Digital HDTV Plus media server. A recent firmware upgrade for this added several online services, Netflix being one of them. I signed up for Netflix's no DVD service at $8/month (free first month).

I find that this unit works a heck of a lot better than using Media Share on the HRs. It can handle almost all video formats without the need to transcode using TVersity or the like. And since all of my content is on a NAS, I don't need to have a PC on all of the time.

6. Dec 1, 2010 #6 of 40
    lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks for the answers everybody. I see upon checking further that I can stream Netflix using my Wii or XBox, so I guess that is how I will approach it. Again, thanks.

7. Dec 1, 2010 #7 of 40
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    They better embrace and integrate web offerings, including Netflix, or consumers will look to cut the cord altogether or find a provider that does.

Sony offers PPV through its PS3 store, yet was smart enough to integrate Netflix into the PS3. D* will need to do the same at some point.

8. Dec 1, 2010 #8 of 40
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Sony, MS, and Nintendo offering it through their consoles is a completely different scenario than a tv provider offering streaming Netflix through their STB's...I really don't forsee that happening anytime in the near future. Do you know of any cable/sat/etc. provider offering streaming Netflix?

9. Dec 1, 2010 #9 of 40
    sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    You won't get any HD streaming through the Wii and from what I've been told you need to subscribe to a $50 a year Microsoft premium service to be able to stream Netflix on the xBox,

Lot of TVs these days will stream content like Netflix, lots of Blu-Ray players in the $75 on up range (when on sale) will do it either wired to your home network or even via wifi, there are a variety of devices like those made by Roku, and currently the most advanced device is the PS3 which currently features 1080P on some content, HD on a lot of content, and DD5.1 audio on more and more programming all the time.

Life is good, lots of choices, and many of them don't cost an arm and a leg.....

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Netflix, Hulu and other IPTV streaming content providers are direct competitors with the cablers and sats. I'm concerned that Comcast, my internet provider, will either throttle down streaming content, put a cap on bandwidth, or impose an up-charge. It's in the wind.

11. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Get an Apple TV. http://www.apple.com/appletv/

I love mine!

12. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I second that suggestion; best gadget money I've spent all year.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I can't think of one provider, cable or satellite, that offers Netflix streaming. They are COMPETITORS.

As for other web offerings, they are working on those. YouTube got a specific mention in the investor's call, for example.

14. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    Just get a blu ray player that does it. My Sony blu ray player does Netflix, Amazon VOD, Youtube, Hulu Plus, Slacker radio, Pandora, plus lots of other things. Plus it plays blu rays :lol:

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You do need XBOX Live Gold, but a lot of users already have that, as it's required for a lot of things, including playing online. Most don't pay full price anyway.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But, does it upscale the NetFlix to 1080/60p? I have three Panny BD65s that do that and the picture blows away the Rokus 720p content. I just bought a Sammy BD player with a sound system wrapped around it and it upscales just like the Pannys do. And the Sammy has a Search function just as the Rokus do.

I don't see any reason for TVs to have streaming content if they can't send their audio to AV systems. Just took a Panny plasma back that had streaming content. Did a lot of things, but had a really crappy picture, unless it was in 1080i or one of the 1080p modes. First Panny plasma I returned for a PQ issue. It was one of last years models and I got a tremendous price on it. Very disappointing. A G15 model.

Rich

17. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Would it be embraced for McDonald's do let Burger King sell burgers inside the McDonald's store?

The point really is that Netflix is a direct competitor to DIRECTV. DIRECTV has "Cinema" Netflix has their stuff. Netflix charges a fee to watch shows and DIRECTV charges a fee to watch shows. If DIRECTV were to "let" Netflix exist, then all of those fees that would have gone to DIRECTV now go to Netflix instead.

I'm not aware of any business that thrives by letting the competition set up shop in their place. You're suggesting that DIRECTV invite them in and .. well, that leaves me :scratchin

18. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm not sure I understand. It would seem that Netflix is the competition. Why would DirecTV give us access to the competition?

Mike

19. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Rightly so! D* PPV is very expensive and the terms of use are cumbersome. NetFlix sitting right next to it on the DVR menu would be a real revenue killer for D*.

I see no upside whatsoever for D* to permit NetFlix or any other company to stream to the DVR.

(I say this as a loyal and very pleased NetFlix subscriber)

20. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I dont believe any of the movies available on DirecTv PPV or Cinema, or whatever they are calling it, is available on Netflix streaming, so I dont see where there would be any conflict except perhaps someone choosing an older Netflix movie over a current D* movie.