1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Netflix's new 'My List' replaces queues, lets users worldwide bookmark their favorites

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Athlon646464, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Netflix's new 'My List' replaces queues, lets users worldwide bookmark their favorites

Netflix's Watch Instantly streaming service in the US started with the same queue-based experience users were familiar with from its disc-by-mail rentals for bookmarking titles to watch later, but internationally the option has never existed. Now the experience is changing everywhere, as Netflix replaces the old queues with "My List."

The selection process is mostly the same as we've come to expect, with a "+ My List" button single click adding it to the list of up to 500 items in each user's profile. My List should pop up on individual accounts over the next couple of weeks.

Instead of remaining in a static queue (or suffering entirely random changes) Netflix is applying its algorithms to users lists, automatically sorting each one by what it believes people will want to watch next. If you're committed to the DIY method then it can be disabled in favor of manual sorting.

If you don't want to use My Lists at all, it will just drop lower in the usual rows of content and eventually disappear entirely. One other tweak...........

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    "Netflix is applying its algorithms to users lists, automatically sorting each one by what it believes people will want to watch next."

Sigh. Just what I need, another algorithm thinking for me.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Guess it doesn't make a lot of difference to me until they start rolling out user profiles on embedded devices. Even then, I usually ignore Netflix's recommendations.

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I like the new profiles option they added a few weeks ago, I live by my self and still had a huge queue list. So I created 5 profiles "TV 50's to 80's", "TV 90's to today", "Movies", "Sports" and "Zombie".

But I really don't get this new My List thing, I preferred the old queue much better.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It basically is the queue, however, it will re-sort the list according to what you have been watching and try to figure out what you might want to watch next. You can just disable that if you want.

- Merg

6. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Thanks, I will give it a chance to grow on me

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just got it this morning on my laptop. Be nice to see some action on my BD players now.

Rich

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    You think this is new?

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My BD players finally got the My List.

Rich

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    My BD players finally got the My List.

Rich

How about your Panasonic TVs?

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't use my one "Smart" Panny to stream, so I had to activate the NF account to find out. Nothing but the old format. I don't use it because I can't get 5.1 sound. Not so "Smart", or am I once again doing something wrong?

Rich

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I don't have a home theater setup, so my TV is what I use, although I've been using the Apple TV now for Netflix since it has the Profiles.

- Merg

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    One of the few issues I have with Panny plasmas is their sound systems. I do use sound systems, but for the 50" unit I have in the MB...well, I tried to use it without a sound system but had a hard time hearing conversations. My wife was adamant about not having another "earth shattering" sound system in that room, so I bought that Sammy all in one sound system that included a BD player, thinking that it wouldn't bother her as much.

Don't you have a problem with conversations getting overridden by the rest of the speakers on the TV? I think I might have the same model you have in the MB.

Rich