1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

network 5 HR21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by techovercharge, Jan 30, 2010.

1. techovercharge

techovercharge Cool Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Hi guys!
    long time reader, first time poster
    thank u for the great site used it many times in the past to find answers to my questions:)
    have another one for you any suggestions will be helpful

i need to network 5 HR21 for the customer. running cat5 is out of the question and since all of these dvrs are either in the closets or attic, powerline adapter might not be very neat solution.. so i think wireless will be the best option but
    somebody told me that wireless usb adapters wont work
    guys, any ideas?

2. cskenney

cskenney New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Why do they want them networked now? Is it to gain the use of MRV? Wireless and MRV will leave them disappointed.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    My wirelessly connected HR21 handles MRV just fine.

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wireless N will work just fine. I have the Linksys WRT610N router and 2 WGA600N gaming adapters.

5. techovercharge

Jan 30, 2010
    not sure what MRV stands for.. but they want them connected to gain access to all the on demand content and also to be able to watch recorded show on any of the dvrs

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    That's what it is. Of course, it's only in beta right now and there's no guarantee that wireless (or wired) will work when it comes out of beta, so I'd be very hesitant about spending money on it now.

7. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Very good advice. I would be even more hesitant to accept payment to install it for a customer. If it doesn't meet their expectations and it can't be fixed:(-- they will not be happy campers, in or out of beta, as it doesn't sound like D is ever going to support "your" installed home network.

8. cskenney

cskenney New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Sorry, I really meant to say Wireless and MRV MAY leave them disappointed. I know some people are having success with wireless MRV.

9. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Directv is working on networking over the same cable used to connect the receivers to a dish (their system is called DECA, Directv Ethernet Coax Adapter). It requires a SWM system, which is limited to 8 tuners (possibly more when the SWM16 and SWM32 come out). Supposedly this type of networking will be the only one officially supported and CAT-5 ethernet may not work for MRV in the future. No date has been announced for the availability of DECA, but since MRV is in beta testing it probably will be fairly soon.

Wireless-N and powerline networking may work, but some people have had issues with both of these technologies, which may be why Directv is going to DECA.

10. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    MRV with wireless N does NOT work well for me.

11. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    The USB port will NOT support a wireless adapter. Only a wireless bridge will work for Ethernet connectivity, currently. Once DECA goes online it should be an even better solution.

12. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Wireless (B/G/N) with Multi-Room Viewing (The ability to watch programs recorded onto one DVR, an ANOTHER DVR) is very questionable. It's truely hit/miss. The best luck is with Wireless-N.

DirecTV on Demand (DirecTVs Video on demand service over the internet) seems to work adequately over Wireless. 802.11G/802.11N is definitely recommended.

I'm surprised to hear you say Cat5e/Cat6 isn't an option with everything being in closets.

I imagine powerline would be the next-best thing regarding interference, but I've never used it.

There are 2 Wireless adapters that DirecTV "officially" supports. I don't know which models at the moment but I'm sure someone else will/has chimed in with them.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    My suggestion is to wait for DECA to be fully deployed/implemented before supporting this customers network needs. DECA will do the job 100% and will not require running any additional wire. You are probably within 2 to 3 months of it being available (but that's just a guess).

14. techovercharge

Jan 30, 2010
    Thank you guys for all your replies, i guess ill have to pull some cable i wanted to avoid it at all cost

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    One other possibility--if you have OTA lines run to all of the receiver locations from a splitter off your OTA antenna, you can accomplish the same thing as DECA by using MoCA hardware. I picked up a couple of ActionTec adapters for <$150 and they work quite well for MRV, which was useless with both wireless and powerline adapters in my installation. MoCA cannot be used on the satellite lines because the frequencies used overlap the satellite freqs.