1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network connection for Guide Data

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by klwillis, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 9, 2007 #1 of 21
    klwillis

klwillis Legend

Apr 11, 2006
    I wonder will D* in the future use the high speed network connection to download guide and firmware data.
    I would think its a faster more efficient way of updating the box with data.

Keith

2. Feb 9, 2007 #2 of 21
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    What? 27mbs satellite links aren't fast enough? And already in place for everyone to receive all at the same time.

Broadband is much better suited for two-way communication like Video on Demand, games, etc. And DIRECTV will do just that...

Cheers,
    Tom

3. Feb 9, 2007 #3 of 21
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Yes, but the guide data might download faster if each receiver could request only the data it required, as opposed to all the data for all locals, regional sports channels, international channels etc. being sent to each receiver.

But some of us may never have broadband. As of right now, I can't get DSL, and probably wouldn't get it if I could. All my computer time is logged while at work.:)

4. Feb 9, 2007 #4 of 21
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    But then you are talking really large server farms, to service all the systems.
    And you would still have to push the data down the SAT to those that don't have network connection.

Other then the initial load after a restart, the guide data updates come down pretty "quickly".

Fix the root cause (aka the need to reboot)...
    Instead of just treating a symptom.

5. Feb 9, 2007 #5 of 21
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    WISDOM!!!

6. Feb 9, 2007 #6 of 21
    bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yes, it is.

7. Feb 9, 2007 #7 of 21
    cbaker

cbaker Icon

Dec 20, 2006
    It is also a lot more secure to download software via the SAT, a little more difficult to inject a "modified" version.

As for guide data ... it is really crazy having to wait for it to come down each night. They should just store a copy on your HD instead of downloading the whole thing each time. Then a reboot would have a copy already there and no need to re-download.

But my guess is that they don't store it on the box's HD for two reasons:
    1) So no one can hack the drive and get the data (hard to get out of memory),
    2) The box probably uses similar code as other non-recorder units and they would need to write more code to determine the different machine and then if a hard drive unit, get the data there.

8. Feb 9, 2007 #8 of 21
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Not to mention the fact that when 1,000,000 (plus) systems start asking those servers for Guide data on a national release night ... Can you say DDOS? ;)

9. Feb 9, 2007 #9 of 21
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Is the guide data saved on RAM?

10. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yes, that's why it's lost when the unit is rebooted.

11. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I wonder if the HR20 is a little short on RAM? Could that be why it is a little slow. It is just like a computer, they work better with more RAM. RAM overload could cause lock ups. IMHO.

12. klwillis

klwillis Legend

Apr 11, 2006
    Maybe saving guide data so it isn't lost when you reboot?
    But you are correct about fixing the root cause.

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    The HR20 is designed to run only the HR20 software, so the coders work within the limits of what it has. Computers run software that is designed to run on any system, with one of a trillion different hardware configurations.

14. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    This has been brought up many times in the past. It's probably not going to happen.

15. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I wonder if it might be possible to cache the guide data to the hard drive. I understand guide data in ram. Especially when you hate the slow guide in the TIVO's. But couldn't the data be cached to the hard drive and then loaded from the cache on reboot?

16. incandenza

incandenza Cool Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Yeah, I would say the "root cause" of the problem here is not storing the guide data to the hard drive. (As the TiVo and probably most other DVRs do.) Having a reboot lose all the guide data is just silly.

17. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Just saying that the original design specs for the size of the RAM many have been underestimated. You can believe that no more goes into these boxes than necessary. Triming 2 or 3 dollars off the cost of a box can save many millions. That is how you win with the lowest bid.

Im sure the programmers are constrained by the amount of RAM is available. It would be interesting to know how close they are to the maximum size of the software. Could be plenty of room, then again maybe not.

18. cbaker

cbaker Icon

Dec 20, 2006
    IMHO from what I can tell this is a possibility, especially if you consider that many claim the systems tend to have problems over time and some say rebooting seems to make it work better. I especially question if there isn't a memory leak somewhere or clean up of memory is suspect.

Heck it could be the reboots for downloading software that helps people and not the actual software update. ;)

Also, I question the HD indexing. I tend to have major issues if I delete an item (recording or todo) and then when it goes back to the list, the item I deleted is still there (from a few seconds to a minute). If I "play" with that item, trouble will errupt. Then other items near that item tend to have issues.

Like yesterday I was trying to delete several to-do items. Not paying attention, I deleted an item and when I just went to delete the next item, I did not realize but I re-deleted the same item. Then I could not delete 3 items all next to each other. It took two reboots to fix that.

Again, this is part of my on-going issues with the un-polished UI. It should not re-list until the item is deleted.

19. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    That has been fixed in 0x12b

20. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    That b or a? :scratchin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.