1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

network connections on HR2x boxes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rikker, Jan 28, 2009.

1. rikker

rikker New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    I have a few HR-2x HD DVR's around the house and at the moment I only have one wired connection from my router to the HR21-700. The HR20 and 21's all have 2 ethernet ports on the back. I am planning on getting a Sony TV w/an Ethernet port on the back. Do I need to run an ethernet cable from the Sony all the way back to the router or can I just daisy chain a Cat 5 cable from the adjacent HR21?
    My goal is to use my Media Server computer for picture display on the LCD that doesn't distort the aspect ratio the way that Directv software does.

Thank you for any replies.

Rick

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    You can connect the second jack on the HR21/22/23 boxes to any other networked device and it should work fine. The second jack on the HR20 is non-functional.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    On the HR21 you can run a line from the bottom ethernet connection to the TV and both will be connect to the network and internet.

The second ethernet connection on the HR20 does not work.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Make sure you connect to port #2 on the back of the HR21/22/23.

Port #1 must be connected to your router.

Mike

5. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Tried doing that with a Slingbox,would not work,but anything else I plugged in would so....ymmv.

6. rikker

rikker New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Thanks for the quick replies. just what I wanted to find out.

Rick