1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network HR20 question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jimmy_27320, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmy_27320

jimmy_27320 AllStar

Aug 17, 2007
    Has any one used a Linksys USB wireless adapter with a USB to Ethernet Adapter to network there Hr20’s? IM looking for the cheapest way to network my HR20’s; wireless bridge and game adapters are too expensive.

2. PTravel

PTravel Legend

Oct 5, 2007
    I tried something similar with a Belkin USB NIC and it did not work. Whatever the USB ports are for on the HR20, they don't appear to be for networking. I got a Netgear wireless access point and used the ethernet connector on the HR20 -- it works fine.

3. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    USB is NOT supported in any way, shape, or form. It has a RJ45 network jack for networking so do not expect a USB adapter to ever be supported. IMHO!

Check out the link in my signature for networking help, lot of suggestions and information.

The USB port is for serial commands to control the HR20/HR21 from advanced theater type setups and specail programing.

Good Luck!

4. jimmy_27320

jimmy_27320 AllStar

Aug 17, 2007

It looks like you could plug one end into the USB wireless adapter and plug an Ethernet cable into the other end; then plug it into the HR20. You would not be using the USB ports on the HR20.

5. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    See post number 3. USB is NOT used for network at all.

6. jimmy_27320

jimmy_27320 AllStar

Aug 17, 2007
    Looks like I will be on Ebay buying a game adapter.

7. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    PTravel..... what model number is the netgear wireless access point you are using?

I currently have a netgear wireless g netgear router hooked to dsl. It's model WGR614. I just dont want to have to run a wire from it all the way over to my HR20. So I assume all game adaptors and access points will connect wirelessly to my router correct?

8. PTravel

PTravel Legend

Oct 5, 2007
    Mine is a WG602 (version 3) Netgear access point. I don't know about game adapters, but access points should work with the router. Wifi is a standard -- unless you're running Vista, everything should work together. Just make sure you specify the correct SSID and configure the access point for whatever security (WEP or WAP) that you're using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.