1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking HR21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by Vinny, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Today my frustration level reached an all time high.

I took the day off from work and decided to try to network my HR21. I hard wired it from my linksys wireless router which is wired to the cable modem.

After many resets, the HR21 finally passed the network and internet tests. I got the congratulation screen and was very happy to see photos and music appear in the menu.

I selected photos and music. My Computer appeared. I selected My Computer and the computer name that came up was KatherineMary. I don't have a clue who KatherineMary is or why her computer was appearing on my HR21. Of course when I selected it; nothing happened.I checked my PC which is running Windows XP and sure enough, there was KatherineMary.

No matter how many times I reset the HR20, the cable modem and router; I got the same results.

Then, to add insult to injury, one of the HR20 RBRs hung on a grey screen so I RBR'd again. When it rebooted; it wiped out all my settings, series links and recordings. It was like a brand new HR21; except all the bugs it had it still has.

I really want to get the HR21 networked; but I just don't know what to do.

Vinny

2. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Are you on cable? If so, you may have sharing enabled or one of your neighbors does and you are picking up thier computer share name.

Bob

3. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Cable modems don't work like that. It's a myth. It may have been true at some point on some systems, but it's absolutely not true today.

4. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Your HR20 is wired up, could you swap spots to see if that connection works with the HR21?

5. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    You said yo are wired up to a Wireless router. What type of security are you running on that router. Could soemone else have connected to your system. Try a test by shutting off the wireless function ( transmitter) for a few minutes and while it is off, go through the procedure of re-enabling the HR21 to see if that computer name disappears. If it does, then you have an intruder. Any computer on the net, wired, wireless will allow connections, similar to what you are seeing.

Bob

6. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    That's a good idea; but wouldn't I see the intruder on my PC as well.

The frustrating part is that I never saw my pc listed on the HR21 and my pc didn't see the HR21 either.

Out of frustration, I disconnected everything yesterday. I guess I'll give it another shot some time today.

Thanks for your help.

7. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    If you are using Dynamic IPs, then the router will see the HR21 and the HR21 will appear in the router table. If you have a static IP on the HR21, It won't show up in the router table. Both case should have a message that says the HR21 is successfully connected to the network and the HR21 is connected to the internet. As for the PC, the only place on mine where it shows up is in the sharing sectoin of WMP11. Now if you somehow have connected to a neighbors network, all bets are off.

You have to remember that if the router is connected directly to the internet (Cable, DSl , etc), it is the main control point and all objects connected to it are essentially slaves on the network. For the PC to recognize these other entities, the UPnP SW (or simialr control sw) needs to be up and runnig. The HR21 should see the internet without any computer connected.

When you go back into your HR21 configuration, make sure that you have connected to RJ45 port 1. I beleive this is the bottom one. Make sure you see the green light. If you don't have a green light when you connect the cable, you have router or wiring problems. Go into the network menu and select "set to defaults". If it returns a menu option of connect now, go ahead and select that one. Don't select any other menus, just exit after you get the successful connection message. If everythig is working, you should also see the amber light at the RJ45 jack blink peridically.

Let us know how it works out. On my system, I actually use the HR21s internal switch (RJ45 2) and cascade my HR20 through the HR21 so I only need one cable back to the router. Works like a charm.

Bob

8. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Did that once on a new laptop.. took a little while to figuire out why I couldn't find my network printer :rolleyes:

9. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks so much. I will give it another try when I have some spare time. I think I connected to the top ethernet port; the bottom one came shipped with something in it, so I figured the top one was the one to use. I saw both the green light and amber blinking light. So, do you think I should remove whatever is in the bottom jack and use that one?

I did get the successful connection message for both network and internet; except it wasn't really connected to my network.

OK....so I just reconnected the HR21 to the router. Got the green light and the amber light. I didn't reset anything. I hit menu and saw music and photos and KatherynMary is back. I'm lost!

10. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Is your wirelss still active. It may be a neighbor who is sharing your Internet connection.

11. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Where on your PC did you see KatherineMary?
    If you are not using Wireless, disable it!
    If you can hard wire your connection, do it!
    Are you using DHCP?

12. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Yes...wireless was still active.

I saw KatherynMary when i click on My Network Neighborhood.
    I can't disable the wireless since I use it to get to the internet on my laptops
    My connection to the HR21 is hard wired.
    I don't know what DHCP is.

Thanks

13. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Are you using any encryption on your wireless. It looks like at some point in time (maybe even right now), a neighbor of yours, friend of the family or your kids if you have any have connected to your wireless network. In My Network Neighborhood, highlight the offending entry and try to delete it. Even if you can't delet it now, make sure you are using some form of encryption, and set up your security on the router.at a minimum, use WEP, beeter yet if possible use WPA and even use MAC ID filtering. Can you check your routing tables to see if there are any other pcs connected that are not your own.

Bob

14. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I really appreciate your help with this.

I only saw the "outside" computer in My Network Neighborhood once. All other times, it only appeared in the HR21 menu. I will change my security to WPA.

The sad part is; I can't even get my own laptops onto my network; so maybe I should talk to Katherynmary to see how she has done it.

Thanks again for all your help.

15. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I'm assuming you have a unique SSID?

WPA security at the very very least. On my linksys wireless router I have WPA switched on, MAC address filtering (only allow the MAC addresses of the devices I am aware of), and I disabled the broadcasting of my SSID.

16. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Yes, setup your security. WPA is a good choice, however WEP will work just as well. Breaking into WEP is not as convenient as everyone talks about. If someone is trolling your network and enough information is passed while they troll, yes they can break in. But it takes quit a bit of traffic to pass before it can be done.

Things to consider...
    1. Change the IP Address scheme in your house. Instead of using the default 192.168.1.xxx, change it to something like 179.100.123.xxx. You can keep the subnet mask the same 255.255.255.0.
    2. Change your network name (SSID) to something like "PoitNarfPoint", turn off the broadcast of this secret name, and enable wireless mac filtering. You will need to get the MAC address from your Network Interface devices that you intend to let into the network.

One reason you may want to consider WEP is if you decide to go wireless on a HR20 or some other device, some of the wireless bridges/game adapters are not capable of anything more than WEP, but that is going away with newer firmware/software that is in use by the wireless community.

If you do these things, the odds are very very good you will never see Katherinemary on your network ever again. Turning of the broadcast of the SSID is the key first step to the security.

17. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I set up 2 HR20-700's with WEP security using Buffalo Ethernet wireless Controllers in about 10 minutes each - simple and painless. They also have held solid connections now for months.

WPA is a newer version of network security control, but actually requires a similar quantity of setup activities for a connection as does WEP (at least on my units - I tried both ways and prefer WEP for stability reasons.

18. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If you use WEP, it is better (more secure) to select 128 bit instead of 64 bit.

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes indeed.

20. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I took your advice and enabled WPA.

The good news is:

I am connected to the internet, and KatherineMary does not appear in my menu..BUT,
    I don't have the photos and music option in my menu.

So, I guess I'm connected to the internet; but not to my network.

I took a step forward but still not able to connect to my home network.

Oh, BTW...what does it mean when the LNB Output test fails????