1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking my box $%^^&

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by beakersloco, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1 of 18
    beakersloco

beakersloco AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    Hello all ... its that time of the year when I get a wild hair up my but and decide to try new technical stuff. Normally its messing with my linux box but today I decided to try networking one of my HR24/100 boxes so I can partake of the all the free media content that I have seen advertised. Im a techie and networking is childsplay to me but for some reason I cant get this DAM box to communicate out to the internet (directv communication test) nor can I even ping the DAM thing. Anyway let me give you the details of my dtv setup and home network.

My setup consists of 2 HR24/100 hd dvrs boxes and 2 H24/100 boxes. I dont subcribe to HD or the whole home dvr. My home has network jacks in every room and I use a linux box to provide network services(firewall,dhcp etc) to my home network. I have a set DHCP IP range that I use for my computers. Any non computer devices get set up statically(wireless access point,printers, gaming systems etc) by adding mac address into a table along with the static IP address I want it to have.

Since the box would not compete its communication tests with just plugging in the network cable, I went into advanced networking and began setting things up to make sure it always gets the same IP. Then followed suit and plugged the info into the dtv box. Still no communication nor can I ping the box. I even changed out the cable. I see one light on the back of the dtv when I plug the cable in. Because this box is actually near my computer its plugged into a switch and I get see a light

Gateway address
    DNS (same as gateway address)

I see the following on screen

Ip OK
    Subnet mask OK
    Default gateway OK
    DNS OK
    Network Coax connected
    Internet Not Connected (22)

Result Code 86-864

What am I missing ????

2. Dec 1, 2011 #2 of 18
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This shows the internal DECA is operational, so you don't have the ethernet port active.
    "Normally" once you connect the ethernet cable, the DECA is turned off, because it's either/or.
    Maybe reset the network default and try "get connected" with your cable inserted.
    "Normally" everyone is trying to get the DECA to work after someone used the ethernet. :lol:

3. Dec 1, 2011 #3 of 18
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The boxes do not respond to a ping.

Also the box thinks that it's getting network from Coax, internal DECA. You need to reboot with your network cable plugged in to change that so the box uses the RJ-45 for network.

4. Dec 1, 2011 #4 of 18
    beakersloco

beakersloco AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    Okay what is this DECA ... I keep reading about.

Not responding to pings ... are you sure in looking at other posts I seem to recall that others were able to ping there boxes (I have looked at so many other posts .. it may have been another type box.)

Thanks all for the responses.

5. Dec 1, 2011 #5 of 18
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    DECA is Directv Ethernet Coaxial Adapter which allows Directv to use the Coax as an Ethernet Cable so the DVRs/Receivers can communicate with each other.

I believe plugging an Ethernet Cable into the Ethernet Port on the back of the DVR disables DECA.

You either have one or the other as they can't coexist.

Also, are you plugging the Ethernet Cable into the top Port or the bottom Ethernet Port?

6. Dec 1, 2011 #6 of 18
    David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    As richierich stated, DECA uses coax for networking. Your 4 boxes formed a network, each box with an auto assigned ip address. (The H24 and HR24 have the coax networking built in.)

Once you connect the ethernet cable and reboot, the internal coax networking is disabled, and the ethernet should start working.

7. Dec 1, 2011 #7 of 18
    beakersloco

beakersloco AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    Mine only has one Ethernet plug ... also I forgot to mention that there is a small box behind my unit. The cable coax comes from the wall to this little box and then goes to the sat box.
    What is that box ?

I recall the installer saying to make sure it always has power in order for the rest of the boxes in my house to work.

I will try rebooting the sat box after I finish some other things Im working on.

8. Dec 1, 2011 #8 of 18
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I believe that is a SWiM Power Inserter that provides power to the DECA devices.

Also, I would set up each Directv DVR/Receiver with a "Static IP Address" as we have had problems with them not working properly or sometimes failing to communicate with other DVRs because of the IP Address changing dynamically and we arrived at the conclusion that "Static IP Addresses allowed us to avoid these networking anomalies.

9. Dec 1, 2011 #9 of 18
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Most likely it's the SWiM PI:

[​IMG]

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Also, Reboot your Router too.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Positive

12. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I have Whole Home installed and my 4 boxes just responded to pings.

13. beakersloco

beakersloco AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    Thanks all.

I hit the red reset switch and now its pingable and able to connect.

Have a test to take now and it also states that it takes 24 hrs to download content .. so I guess tomorrow night I get to see if it will be worth it to network the other boxes in my house.

So how much of the content is actually free ? And I dont really care about movie previews as thats what youtube and a computer is for. Does that leave much ?

14. adidas208

adidas208 Cool Member

Nov 30, 2011
    AMEN....I wish all installers would use the model to the right....i go to these svc all the times and this always fixes the dropped audio and packets issue..Thank you:D

15. beakersloco

beakersloco AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    My setup is the one on the left and about a week ago ... I noticed that a few of my DVRed programs have sound drop outs and also sometimes if I rewind 30 mins to the beginning of a show I have had issues with sound. ... I figured it meant that something was wrong with the signal at the time.

I guess I will pay more attention to see if this keeps happening.

As far as the On demand programs .. i take it that I can only watch video on demand on the DVR boxes and I would have to get the whole house dvr setup to be able to watch shows on the non dvr boxes ?

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Since you've just disabled the whole DECA networking, the image on the left is fine for you.
    Once you've downloaded On Demand programing, "if you had" the whole home DVR service, it could be watched on other receiver connected to the same network.

17. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    That's funny...what's this then:

C:\Users\Hasan>ping 192.168.0.xxx

Pinging 192.168.0.xxx with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.0.xxx: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.0.xxx: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.0.xxx: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.0.xxx: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% los
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 3ms

(That's from an HR20-700)

18. beakersloco

beakersloco AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    Alright one more question ...

Does this box have extra space dedicated to the video on demand ? I have set a couple things to download and it does not appear to be taking up any space ?

Also what is the fix for sound dropping out after exiting a recorded show ? As now that my video on demand is active , it seems that my sound issue just got worse and after watching any recorded show I have to either change the channel or turn the box off to get sound back.